diy solar

diy solar

Panels are not showing charge on controller

Is it that the meter shows no power, or the MPPT is actually not putting out power at all?

Have you confirmed no current with a measurement?

Also, that meter is not a battery monitor. It will not show Battery % SoC. It's more of a power meter.

Is it that the meter shows no power, or the MPPT is actually not putting out power at all?

Have you confirmed no current with a measurement?

Also, that meter is not a battery monitor. It will not show Battery % SoC. It's more of a power meter.
The meter shows power. it works fine. The MPPT is not putting out power. I do realize it is a meter. That's what I need to know how much power is being used at any given moment (and over time). I only see the red light on the Controller, and the dispay saying 0 amps and 0 watts. See the photos below.

How about show us your wiring?
Thanks for asking. The photo of the Controller display was taken right now BUT it looked the same today when the sun was shining. Zero amps and ZERO watts on the display. Photo of the Batt meter is to show that it is working. It has been connected for two days. The system was working (charging the batteries from the panels) BEFORE I installed the battery meter. Now the batteries are charged by the Grid every time they get low.

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_232259053.jpg
    IMG_20211204_232259053.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20211205_192356233.jpg
    IMG_20211205_192356233.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211205_213803740.jpg
    IMG_20211205_213803740.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211205_213828703.jpg
    IMG_20211205_213828703.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 7

"This shunt will allow you to monitor power flow in only one direction"

It's likely ONLY showing the loads.
I am not concerned at this time about the meter, only why the controller is not charging the batteries. I want to know if the meter is interfering with the function of the Controller. Any help appreciated so I can get my system online. I probably will disconnect the meter and see if the system works again. I a trying to avoid that. Connecting the meter was a major feat for me since I have never wired anything like that before. I am very proud of myself.

I am not concerned at this time about the meter, only why the controller is not charging the batteries. I want to know if the meter is interfering with the function of the Controller. Any help appreciated so I can get my system online. I probably will disconnect the meter and see if the system works again. I a trying to avoid that. Connecting the meter was a major feat for me since I have never wired anything like that before. I am very proud of myself.

PV 5V seems irregular unless it's dark outside.

How come you have two big power black wires connected to the Negative post of the battery?
Can you zoom out?
If you look at the wiring diagram, you will see that you should have only one main power wire on the negative or the power source (battery) to the shunt, another end of the shunt will be the load, this is for monitoring the battery, see the wiring diagram as shown on the link you give.
BTW, if you remove the added shunt, does the system work again?
Did you also remove the panel before disconnecting the battery and connect the batteries first before the panel?

How come you have two big power black wires connected to the Negative post of the battery?
Can you zoom out?
If you look at the wiring diagram, you will see that you should have only one main power wire on the negative or the power source (battery) to the shunt, another end of the shunt will be the load, this is for monitoring the battery, see the wiring diagram as shown on the link you give.
BTW, if you remove the added shunt, does the system work again?
Did you also remove the panel before disconnecting the battery and connect the batteries first before the panel?
There are two cables on the negative terminal because one is connecting two pairs of 12 volt batteries in series. And one goes to the inverter. I have not disconnected the shunt yet. That is what I will have to do to see if the controller works again.

I just disconnected the Bayite meter and connected cables as they were before. In the morning, I will see if the batteries are getting charged by the panels and post here again. Thank you all.

Be aware these cheap shunts warm up, they get very hot anything above 70% their rating.

If you try and push 100a there will be significant voltage drop across it.

Last edited:
I have removed the Batt Meter and I believe the problem is the 30 amp fuse that connects my panels to the Controller. I will be changing it with a breaker. That is why the power doesn't get to the controller. I had removed the fuse before installing the Meter. Looks like the connection went bad in the fuse holder. here is a photo of the bad fuse holder (the fuse is new). https://photos.app.goo.gl/LEgbgy5uiPdRiqyr7

I have removed the Batt Meter and I believe the problem is the 30 amp fuse that connects my panels to the Controller. I will be changing it with a breaker. That is why the power doesn't get to the controller. I had removed the fuse before installing the Meter. Looks like the connection went bad in the fuse holder. here is a photo of the bad fuse holder (the fuse is new). https://photos.app.goo.gl/LEgbgy5uiPdRiqyr7
Ah, the missing info about the fuse.

Hello my good friends: Yesterday I installed a new DC Disconnect breaker between the panels and the controller!!! All is well. My system is back working. I removed the fuse holder because one of the wires was disconnected - that is why I got no charge from the panels - DA!. I am a little timid touching wires so it took me a month to do it! Ha ha. I used to HATE inserting and removing the fuse especially during the day when it gave me big sparks. Now I have a lovely switch I can turn off and on. Yeah! Sometimes learning comes the hard way. I just pray that the installer who put that fuse instead of a breaker will not do that on others systems. Now I have to decide what to do with my 4 marine batteries. With my new Bayite battery monitor I am going to monitor my use and decide whether to get new 6 volt FLA batteries or to wait and buy LIPO4. ANYWAY, happy to have my system working because LUMA Energy in Puerto Rico is not very stable. Happy holidays!

Back