diy solar

diy solar

Panels for EB200

Joules22

So I've been pretty much running myself nuts trying to choose solar panels for my EB200. Finally settled on these for better or worse. I'll report back when they arrive and are in service.

So I've been pretty much running myself nuts trying to choose solar panels for my EB200. Finally settled on these for better or worse. I'll report back when they arrive and are in service.
I went with 4 of the Harbor Freight 100 watt panels. I snipped of the ASE connection and added MC4. I run 2s2p. Ive gotten as high as 425 watts as the panels seem to be underated.

Attachments

• 20220617_134521.jpg
    20220617_134521.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 1
I had no idea that HF has solar panels. But why not, they have everything else... ?
Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Hello Joules. I too have the EB200. So far I am satisfied. Long term durability is yet to be seen. So far I tested 2 different air conditioner types (window unit and small mini split hvac). Charged it a couple times using a different brand of 200 watt 9bb panels. Mine are the Rich Mega ones. Chose them because they were less money than the Bouge brand you chose. Both 200 watt both 9bb. It came down to price. Have you tried out your panels yet? How are they working out for you? How is your EB200 unit running? What have you tested/used with it so far? I have a thread on that model and hoping to get others with it to post on that thread as a consolidated spot for information others might find helpful.

Have you tried out your panels yet? How are they working out for you? How is your EB200 unit running? What have you tested/used with it so far? I have a thread on that model and hoping to get others with it to post on that thread as a consolidated spot for information others might find helpful.
I just received the panels yesterday. My observations so far:

Unboxing:
BougeRV packaging is substandard, IMHO. I've never received solar panels before so I don't know how other vendors pack their goods, but these were single boxed with a thick cardboard protector over the glass, plus corner "protectors". Glass was generally fine, but one panel showed lots of scuff marks on the lower third of the glass. The other panel was marked a bit but not as bad. The frames on both panels were damaged. The first panel had 3 dents in the back mounting surface while the second panel had one dent in the mounting surface and one crushed corner (thus the quotes for protectors above). It likely didn't help that FedEx was the carrier. Around here, if you want something mishandled, mis-delivered or delayed by a delivery "exception", FedEx is your pick. So either Bouge needs to double box or use a heavier weight of cardboard with better protection internally.

Performance:
Voc runs about 19.8V after heating up in 85-90° weather for a couple of hours. I connected the panels (in series) to my EB200 this morning and made my first mistake: I got an overvoltage alarm immediately because the DC input was set to car mode, not pv. It's odd that the instructions don't mention this detail in the solar charging section, but it IS mentioned in the car charging section which, of course, I didn't read since I wasn't doing that. Maybe pv is supposed to be the default but mine wasn't set that way. At any rate, it seems no damage was done.
DC input via the panels was 31-33V @ 91W according to the display screen. The panels were oriented so that they got a bit of direct sun but most of what they saw was clear, open sky. I guess I'm pleased that the EB200 charged at all since the published cutoff for pv is 35V. I may need another panel, but I really don't have room for one.

Misc:
I haven't stressed the Bluetti much other than to run a 1500W space heater. It ran for about 70 minutes starting from 100% charge. My intended use is to keep my fridge and small freezer powered up during a blackout (along with a couple of fans).

FWIW, I did post in your other thread a few weeks ago. I'll try to post there again when I have more questions.

Last edited:
I just received the panels yesterday. My observations so far:

Unboxing:
BougeRV packaging is substandard, IMHO. I've never received solar panels before so I don't know how other vendors pack their goods, but these were single boxed with a thick cardboard protector over the glass, plus corner "protectors". Glass was generally fine, but one panel showed lots of scuff marks on the lower third of the glass. The other panel was marked a bit but not as bad. The frames on both panels were damaged. The first panel had 3 dents in the back mounting surface while the second panel had one dent in the mounting surface and one crushed corner (thus the quotes for protectors above). It likely didn't help that FedEx was the carrier. Around here, if you want something mishandled, mis-delivered or delayed by a delivery "exception", FedEx is your pick. So either Bouge needs to double box or use a heavier weight of cardboard with better protection internally.

Performance:
Voc runs about 19.8V after heating up in 85-90° weather for a couple of hours. I connected the panels (in series) to my EB200 this morning and made my first mistake: I got an overvoltage alarm immediately because the DC input was set to car mode, not pv. It's odd that the instructions don't mention this detail in the solar charging section, but it IS mentioned in the car charging section which, of course, I didn't read since I wasn't doing that. Maybe pv is supposed to be the default but mine wasn't set that way. At any rate, it seems no damage was done.
DC input via the panels was 31-33V @ 91W according to the display screen. The panels were oriented so that they got a bit of direct sun but most of what they saw was clear, open sky. I guess I'm pleased that the EB200 charged at all since the published cutoff for pv is 35V. I may need another panel, but I really don't have room for one.

Misc:
I haven't stressed the Bluetti much other than to run a 1500W space heater. It ran for about 70 minutes starting from 100% charge. My intended use is to keep my fridge and small freezer powered up during a blackout (along with a couple of fans).

FWIW, I did post in your other thread a few weeks ago. I'll try to post there again when I have more questions.
Yes, I agree on comment about FedEx. My Rich panels showed up packed like what you described. Mine also had pinched/bent areas along the frames on both orders and every panel. Some were more pronounced than others. Did contact Rich about it and they basically told me it was no big deal. I responded if they bought a new car and it had said pinched bent areas in the body of the car if that too would be no big deal. I think the carriers are in such a hurry that they just fling, drop and drag packages with willful disregard.

I also was thrown off about the pv and car modes. Only reason I got it right was I had watched so many videos on all kinds of power stations that I made sure to check mine when it actually arrived. Their user manual is nothing more than a quick start guide to me. Plus, our model is not as well known or popular as the others, so it was a challenge to find much information on it. That is why I was hoping to consolidate info on the thread I started. Hoping it will help others. Thank you for posting on here and my thread. We are using the power station for the same reasons as far as emergency power for fridge and chest freezer. I also want to run a bedroom window a/c in summer so we have a place to retreat from humid, hot Florida. I have 2 of them now. We also have a couple Honda generators as well. Those we have had for quite a while as we experienced long hurricane related (week) outages when we lived in Jax (Jacksonville). Finally was able to talk my husband into getting propane kits for them. The idea is to run the power stations off solar during the day then off the battery at night. For 2-3 days of no sun, then we will have to charge them with the Honda.

First panel test today on the "good" side of the house; power maxed out at 110W. Kind of disappointing for two 200W panels, though we did have ~95% cloud cover at that time according to the Weather Channel. Not sure what my expectations should be in those conditions. Looks like no real chance for sun until next week.

Another test today, better sky with ~50% cloud cover reported (looked more clear than that to me). Temp was 85°. I saw 300W once, most of the time the power ranged from 250W-285W.

Today, the PV input finally cracked 300W consistently, saw a peak of 326W while I was observing. Sky was still not 100% free of clouds, at best there was still a high haze. I'm glad the Bluetti 35V minimum PV input spec seems not to be a hard cutoff; the input is almost always less than 35V.

I was able to get two 12V panels in series to work as long as the operating voltages of each was at least 18V. That would be the same for a single 24V panel, too. So check the specs before you buy.

I was able to get two 12V panels in series to work as long as the operating voltages of each was at least 18V. That would be the same for a single 24V panel, too. So check the specs before you buy.

I can get a few of my "12v" panels to work in car charging mode. But they only charge at about 40-50 watts.

I can get a few of my "12v" panels to work in car charging mode. But they only charge at about 40-50 watts.
Neither of mine work in car charging mode. I do know that Bluetti built in discharge protection into the car charging mode so that charging the EB200 would not kill your car battery. I don't know how that will affect things, exactly, but if the voltage coming from the panel ever dips too low the EB200 will cut off charging and may or may not come back up by itself.

Also, in theory, the EB200 will try to pull a full 8A from your "12V" solar panel as soon as you plug it in. Probably isn't going to work on anything short of a 150-160W panel in direct sunlight.

Back