diy solar

diy solar

Panels slightly larger than shed roof

solar_trees

I have a shed with roof faces measuring 54 in. tall by 98 in. across This turns out to be somewhat of an unfortunate size, because I'm finding a lot of panels that are just a few inches to big to fit on the roof. One example of this are the 200w Newpowa panels, which are 55.28 x 27.76 inches. If the roof was 2 inches taller, I could fit three, but as it stands, I can only fit one. How much of an issue would it be to have panels hanging over the bottom edge of the roof a few inches? I would like to get as many watts on the roof as I can, but also don't want to build something that isn't stable.

So far, the most watts I can fit on the roof without an overhang is 480 (3 x 160w Newpowa Panels). I've been looking mostly at the Newpowa panels, because they seem to have the biggest variety of panel sizes, but I'm open to suggestions for other vendors as well.

If you have a rain gutter and the panel extends beyond the gutter, it will render your gutter largely useless. It might also matter if it (the panel) now crashes into your head if you forget to duck down when going into the shed. There might be other issues that don't come to mind at the moment.

Funny you should mention this. I just bought four used LG solar panels 280W which measure 64.5" x 39.3". My shed roof is 60" x 144". I am going to have 2.25" inch overhang above the roof apex and below it, and I am going to have 6" inch on each side. I figured it was worth the hassle in order to get four rather than three panels up on the roof.

the overhang on a shed will be fine. your main concern should be wind. secure the shed with deep anchors.

I put solar panels on my shed last year and the panels overhang on all 4 sides. I initially considered zero overlap so it took some consideration before moving forward. First, my shed is anchored with 6 ground anchors that are ~3 feet in the ground and attached to the shed skids with wire rope. Second, I used the IronRidge design tool and followed their guidance exactly for my location (rail size, cantilever distance, footing spacing, etc.). Per the comments above, you'll also want to consider final panel height at the edges to avoid a safety issue (e.g., hitting your head).

Pictures included below, including the anchors which were installed with an impact driver.

Pic6-Combiner.jpg Pic7-Solar-Panels.jpg pic4anchors.JPG pic1anchor.jpg pic3footings.jpg pic2footing.jpg

One additional thought, it would be good if the shed has hurricane brackets/clips on the interior (skids to floor joists, floor joists to wall framing, wall framing to ceiling joists, etc.). The anchors will hold it to the ground but you want to make sure the shed stays together as well. We live in south Texas so hurricane-force winds are a real concern.

I put solar panels on my shed last year and the panels overhang on all 4 sides. I initially considered zero overlap so it took some consideration before moving forward. First, my shed is anchored with 6 ground anchors that are ~3 feet in the ground and attached to the shed skids with wire rope. Second, I used the IronRidge design tool and followed their guidance exactly for my location (rail size, cantilever distance, footing spacing, etc.). Per the comments above, you'll also want to consider final panel height at the edges to avoid a safety issue (e.g., hitting your head).

Pictures included below, including the anchors which were installed with an impact driver.

View attachment 113695 View attachment 113696 View attachment 113692 View attachment 113691 View attachment 113693 View attachment 113694
These pictures are great!

20221124_101634.jpgjust sending a followup. 24v battery bank with Cotek 1500 watt inverter and wired to a electric panel and two eight foot ground rods. Thanks to this forum and @willprowse I have been able to proceed. Currently just power a Google nestcam floodlight :)

Looks like a great start. I'm not a huge fan of the chi-com DC breakers when Midnite solar UL listed DC breakers are only $50-60. great choice in DIY SCC. i'm really impressed with my Victron 100 120

yep! it will only disconnect the + and you'll want to get the $1 DIN rail and put it in a covered metal box.

I have a shed with roof faces measuring 54 in. tall by 98 in. across This turns out to be somewhat of an unfortunate size, because I'm finding a lot of panels that are just a few inches to big to fit on the roof. One example of this are the 200w Newpowa panels, which are 55.28 x 27.76 inches.

Check your country laws, I secure mine with https://eu.esdec.com/en/clickfit-evo-steel-roof/ and the manual reads that I must have 30cm clearance to be certified, I am in Europe but in Australia they have a similar law.

It need it because of the wind.

Back