diy solar

diy solar

Panels with one chipped cell

rs50pilot

I bought a pallet of 26 us made panels. When I received them. 7 had a cell with a small crack or a chip. 7 also had some bubbles for lack of a better term.
The seller had agreed to replace the panels, although I'm not sure with what type of panels as I bought the last pallet of these they had.

Or I can keep them with a hefty discount. It would amount to $69 for each 365 watt panel. Heliene m72 365.

This cracked one is the worst out off all of them,
The weird bubbles are on 3 panels, and one panel has the tape covering the final solder joint placed over a very small part of four cells.

I tested the cracked one for voltage only. It was .7 volts lower than a good one.

Have not tested for amperage. I don't have enough sun during the week by the time I get home.
These will be roof mounted on my house.

I'm thinking about just returning them. But the discount is pretty substantial.

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_160318.jpg
    IMG_20210820_160318.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210820_155545.jpg
    IMG_20210820_155545.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210820_154026.jpg
    IMG_20210820_154026.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I should add, they say the manufacturer warranty still applies, and I can take the 26% tax credit.

Although I don't see how the warranty would apply on a chipped cell panel. Still waiting to hear back on that.

I would exchange the cracked one or one tested bad since you cannot tell what the long term effect will be, more cracks may appear in the future due to thermal cycle, etc. You may also run into the replacement in the future if they do not have the replacement panels that will match your existing panels.

I would exchange the cracked one or one tested bad since you cannot tell what the long term effect will be, more cracks may appear in the future due to thermal cycle, etc. You may also run into the replacement in the future if they do not have the replacement panels that will match your existing panels.
I'm curious to see how they say the warranty will work. I'll have to read the manufacturers warranty.
After the tax credit I could be looking at $46 a panel. Being that only 7 have one broken cell, it might be worth it.
Not sure what effect the bubbling will have on those panels...

.12 cents a watt is pretty good for "new" panels. I'll have to do some testing.

Is there some easy way to put the panel under a real load?
I know I can use my dvom to check amperage, but how close is that to actual in use amperage.
I'm talking about for testing the ones that are bubbled.

You can do shorted circuit comparison test.
I just bought some used SunPower SPR210 panels, it has Isc of 5.75A, I found one of the panel only gets about 3A instead of over 5A on the good one, so I was able to exchange it for good working one, BTW, the VOC of good and bad panel are really close to each other within 1V.

You can do shorted circuit comparison test.
I just bought some used SunPower SPR210 panels, it has Isc of 5.75A, I found one of the panel only gets about 3A instead of over 5A on the good one, so I was able to exchange it for good working one, BTW, the VOC of good and bad panel are really close to each other within 1V.
Thanks, I'll look that test up.

I use clamp-on DCA meter, I just cover the panel with card board and just plug the MC4 ends together and then remove the card board to get the reading, cover up with card board again before unplugging the MC4.
What is the Isc of the panel and your meter DCA rating?

Just interested, what happen if you unplug them under load? It says it right on the connector not to do it:)

Back