diy solar

diy solar

Panels without MC4 Best way to connect.

Craig

Watts are Watts!
Staff member
So I picked up 20 150 watt panels for 400 bucks the problem is the MC4 connectors have been cut off.
These are 100V 1.5 Amp panels
What I'm thinking of doing is a 2S10P setup.
I started to put new MC4 connectors on all of the panels then I said why am I doing this.
What Im thinking of doing is mounting the panels on a Ground mount rack about 4 or 5 feet off of ground then attach 1 negative lead from the first panel to the positive of second panel. Then run the other ends to a positive and negative bus bar that would parallel 5 of the 10 sets then putting a breaker on the bus bar and repeating this for the other string.

Basically everything would be hard wired which is easier and cheaper than crimping 40 MC4 connectors.

Does anybody see a problem with my logic. The bus bars would basically be a combiner box I make up with glands to keep things waterproof.
So 2 negative combiner boxes and 2 positive bus boxes then off to 2 SCC 60 Amps each at 24Volts. Im a little over on power but don't expect to ever get full output from my array.

Maybe this is worth a look.
Actually those are a great idea because some of the cables on the panels are pretty short. Thanks. Still interested if there is a reason using those and having a direct connection would cause any problems

As long as you have a means of disconnect I don't see a problem.

Hard-wired connections would likely be better than MC4 connections, which would always be a point of failure. Obviously the connections would need to be waterproofed. The only problem is one of maintenance if, for example, you wanted to replace a panel due to damage of failure. I would still crimp the ends into some kind of terminal, however; a good crimped connection is far superior to any soldered or terminal block type connection.

Don't forget your bonding and earthing.

Back