diy solar

diy solar

Parallel 12V Batteries with Busbar ... how to fuse?

chadmichael

I have two batteries I will put in parallel via a bus bar. These batteries use Anderson connectors. On the plans I've mostly seen people use a bolt on fuse at the batter terminal. Due to the anderson connectors, this isn't possible. If I connect the batteries directly to the busbar, do I only need to put a fuse on the positive terminal of the bus bar -- well, the load side positive side of the bus bar?

Also, is there any difference between a fuse bolted directly onto the positive busbar "terminal", and then the wire going from that to, say my inverter? And a wire bolted directly to the positive bus bar, then, a few inches of that wire to an MegaFuse or circuite breaker? Is it a problem that part of the circuit comes before the fuse, I guess is what I'm asking?

12V OWL - LiFePO4 -170Ah
400 W system per Will's recipe
2200 W Inverter

Generally a fuse within 18" of the positive terminal is preferred. Yes the wire between the positive terminal and the fuse is unprotected so keep it short and protected. And no feeding it through blind spaces. If the connections are short and organized and protected from general use there should be no issues.

Back