diy solar

diy solar

Parallel connecting four 48v 100AH batteries - cables or busbar

You are going to be increasing your batteries at some point which would.make these obsolete. I would spend the extra money now and give yourself some headroom.

Can I use the less expensive Amazon version for three 48V LifePro EG4 batteries or do I need the larger more expensive one?
You can however note that the bolt head under the Amazon busbar is held in place by plastic so what can happen when tightening the nut is the bolt head starts to twist and this can strip out the plastic holding the bolt head in place making it difficult later on to remove the nut since you can't access the bolt head with a spanner to prevent it from turning.

I had this happen with one I had. I've since replaced my cheap busbars with the Victron Lynx Power In bus bar. Much more robust.

I just came across this post as I'm looking at busbars now. I found these two variants:

View attachment 156366

Can I use the less expensive Amazon version for three 48V LifePro EG4 batteries or do I need the larger more expensive one?

The less expensive bus bars say they're using copper. No mention of brass, so that's good. Does it have enough studs to handle what you want to connect?

The less expensive bus bars say they're using copper. No mention of brass, so that's good. Does it have enough studs to handle what you want to connect?
I'm starting small until I get my feet wet. Only ordered one battery so far but will add others in the future as money and space permit. I have two major cost sucks working against me at the moment: new roof and, as a result, a new PV system (replacing a 17+ year old one which is providing my panels for this "experiment.")

Busbars are nice but cables are just fine as well. I find cables much easier to use and set up myself. Layout changes make busbars a worse option. You won't go wrong either way though.

Busbars are nice but cables are just fine as well. I find cables much easier to use and set up myself. Layout changes make busbars a worse option. You won't go wrong either way though.
It won't be an issue for awhile. Trying to get just the basic system up in the next month. Company comes tomorrow to take down the panels from my old system. A week later my roofer installs a new roof. Sometime after that the solar company installs the new grid-tied system and just like that, I'm quite a bit poorer, with less money to build my other system. :(

Back