diy solar

diy solar

Parallel Overkill BMS Success

SoundinSpirit

Since I've been searching this group for awhile about this topic and not finding any others trying this, I had to do it...
Thanks @Will Prowse for sharing that video of the dual Daly 60 amp bms modules in parallel!

Dual Overkill 120 amp BMS running in parallel WORKS GREAT- though per Steve at Overkill, it is not recommended.
I have new 4s 280 amp hour cells, grade A...Top Balanced in bulk with AGM battery charger, then topped off with a Hobby LiFe charger. My plan is to get 4 more cells, but I wanted to plan for that time about 2 months from now for shipping. I also have a 2000 watt inverter I wanted to run, which should draw about 180 amps under my planned, short duration, max load.
Wiring the BMS modules using a Victron BMV-712 and a hobby load tester, I was able to see the 60 and then 135 amp draw split between the two modules. It is not a perfect 50/50 split, but really close... The BMV was showing the load split and the BMS reflected this as well! Both BMS modules show the same cell voltage. Charging using a AGM charger at about 20 amps is working fine too.
Does it work? YES! There seems to be zero issue in doing this too while bench testing.
My WHY is explained above... The how is here too. I am actually using TWO AGM battery chargers as well. I DID want the reliability, local prep with wires, etc of Overkill. Also the Stateside shipping speed.
While I didn't read about it on the internet, I did watch Will's video using two 60 amp Daly BMS in parallel...
I thought this through and checked everything step by step very cautiously...
NOT doing it on the cheap either... the two Overkill BMS were about $250 with lugs crimped, etc. While I DO feel comfortable using this setup longer term, I will be getting four more cells and splitting up the BMS. Once again, in emailing Steve at Overkill, he did say he recommends against this usage, but if it works...it works, right? I WILL be monitoring cell voltage from the app and multimeter more cautiously as this is in use.

For the next few camping trips, I will be good to go until the next four cells roll in...
Pretty stoked!

Initially, I did encounter an issue with one BMS. But it's unrelated to using in parallel. I swapped the temp probe and the issue stayed with the board... so? The BMS works fine until it hits high voltage/low voltage/overcurrent shutdown. Then it gets locked out of self-reset with discharge turned off. Working it out with Overkill, but probably a faulty module... The other one works perfectly.

In response to a couple questions I had...
Cell voltage on both BMS matches and pack voltage matches too. When testing with two different multimeters on cell terminals, individual voltage is off by about .10 volt. BMS measures higher... Multimeter pack voltage is also off from BMS, but matches the BMV-712 exactly. This variance is noticed with either bms from multimeter and whether they are in parallel or singularly wired.

Hope this helps for anyone wondering the same as I did... Please ignore the wire mess too. I'll have it all cleaned up and dialed in as I get the cells in a box! I think I may also make a stud for the main positive and Neg. Putting two lugs on there and balance leads seems too little thread engagement ... :cool:

Attachments

• 20210124_105141_HDR.jpg
    20210124_105141_HDR.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 20210124_105342.jpg
    20210124_105342.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20210124-105359.jpg
    Screenshot_20210124-105359.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20210124-105419.jpg
    Screenshot_20210124-105419.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 145
I can see discouraging putting them in Series because they won't handle 24V. But putting them in Parallel isn't an issue, several people do that without encountering issues. The Only Problem that has seen air, is when connecting multiple BMS' up on the Bluetooth app, which I believe was sorted easily enough from what's been reported.

@Steve_S, @DerpsyDoodler , and @Dzl
As to the reasoning, it was not specified... He just said not recommended. I posted here about it as there seemed to be no information about doing this, besides the one video from Will P. about the two Dalys in parallel. Everything I'm seeing in bench testing is coming out fine.
I'll have the whole system up and running this week.

@Steve_S, @DerpsyDoodler , and @Dzl
As to the reasoning, it was not specified... He just said not recommended. I posted here about it as there seemed to be no information about doing this, besides the one video from Will P. about the two Dalys in parallel. Everything I'm seeing in bench testing is coming out fine.
I'll have the whole system up and running this week.
i’d suggest maybe reaching out and asking for more information. Maybe they thought you meant arranging them in serial as opposed to parallel (perhaps a brainfart on their part?)

Hey all, do you know of a way to bypass the under temp cutoff? One of my two BMS was wonky and I finally figured out why. The temp sensor lead broke off the board.... With this broken, the BMS will not discharge. I have a replacement coming, but we leave in a week for a trip... Ideas?

Hey all, do you know of a way to bypass the under temp cutoff? One of my two BMS was wonky and I finally figured out why. The temp sensor lead broke off the board.... With this broken, the BMS will not discharge. I have a replacement coming, but we leave in a week for a trip... Ideas?
Are you any good with a soldering iron?

Are you any good with a soldering iron?
Lol... The pins fir the plug actually broke off.... They are like microscopic, lol... Big downside to that BMS. Everything else is solid, but that plug in that is on the board is susceptible to breaking off. Mine actually came partially breaking off....
Just wondering if I can bypass it. I just posted a new thread under BMS on this group too...

turn it off in the settings using bluetooth.
i run them in series no problem.
I tried to... But it seems to still have the discharge wrapped around its fist! Lol...
I changed the low temp cut out to ambient... No deal. Turned off temp 1 and 2.... Won't budge...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210201-172453.png
    Screenshot_20210201-172453.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210201-172547.png
    Screenshot_20210201-172547.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 10
well,i guess its borked.was it easy to break off?
i best secure mine from that.

well,i guess its borked.was it easy to break off?
i best secure mine from that.
Well... Let me tell you.... Nah, I got nothing.... I think it is inherently fragile. But, mine came slightly damaged and not working. Steve at Overkill is quick to resolve, but backordered. I'm hoping it will get here before a trip on Sunday... But whatev.... Nice thing about running parallel BMS on a 280 amp pack is there is redundancy! Lol... I have more cells coming from China, but wanted to verify the seller first.
Live and learn! Life goes on...

Lol... The pins fir the plug actually broke off.... They are like microscopic, lol... Big downside to that BMS. Everything else is solid, but that plug in that is on the board is susceptible to breaking off. Mine actually came partially breaking off....
Just wondering if I can bypass it. I just posted a new thread under BMS on this group too...
Oh lol...guess that nixes that option...

@DerpsyDoodler
Ok...i figured why not... I'm not great, but not terrible either.
Seeing the contact points, I soldered the temp sensor wired direct to the board... Put it back together and.... Nothing. Still won't discharge.
Still getting that Discharge Low message.
What gives. Steve at Overkill is Sending me a new module, but in my stubbornness... I really want to fix this one.

Ideas?

Attachments

• 20210202_090226.jpg
    20210202_090226.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 51
@DerpsyDoodler
Seeing the contact points, I soldered the temp sensor wired direct to the board... Put it back together and.... Nothing. Still won't discharge.
What gives. Steve at Overkill is Sending me a new module, but in my stubbornness... I really want to fix this one.

Ideas?
Well if I knew enough about circuitry, I’d tell you to get out your multi-meter and start checking resistances to see if any of the components weren’t reporting what they should, but since I don’t know any of that stuff off the top of my head....your best bet would be to get guidance from an ee or just leave it alone. Overkill Steve may want to fix it himself before an amateur break breaks it. Lol.

Just realized through another post I could tag @OverkillSolar
Any ideas on fixing this module? Even a complete bypass of this function that is shutting off discharge?
I'm a stubborn snot! Lol!

OK, solved. The exterior temp sensor is faulty. Not only broken, but when hard wired and soldered to the board it still does not read out correct. I was able to override it in a way I hadn't discovered. Temp sensor 1 was reading - 30 and number two was accurate. Obviously one sensor is on the board and one is that probe. So I changed Number 1 to read +10 C. and bingo. As the probe receiver was damaged and fell off the board, it appears soldering it direct didn't work either...
Very interesting!
Anyway, BMS is functioning now (partially) , and a replacement is on the way.

@DerpsyDoodler

Ideas?

You soldered it to the mechanical pads for the connector. It should be soldered on the two smaller pads between those big pads, just on the left on the picture.

Back