diy solar

diy solar

Parallel packs/overkill BMS pros/cons

I’m still in draft...we’re pretty sure the ODU will occupy space for one bottle. If I have my way, I’ll have 18k/12k cassettes. My climates tend to very hot/dry or very cold (in which case I’ll have a external tank set for the winter). I’d give up a bit of cabinet space or have low static ducted with no “hat” and get another 800w of solar up top but we’re still working out the final details.
Oh! Same LG unit they have been using? I didn’t think cassettes were bigger than 9k available. Damn. Cuz I want a bigger one for the living space. Still 30k condenser. If you get more than 9 I’ll be curious how. I might retrofit. We decided against wall units. I was originally hoping to get 4400 watts up there but settled at 3300 (38’ long). The Panasonic panels I used were key to that.

Oh! Same LG unit they have been using? I didn’t think cassettes were bigger than 9k available. Damn. Cuz I want a bigger one for the living space. Still 30k condenser. If you get more than 9 I’ll be curious how. I might retrofit. We decided against wall units. I was originally hoping to get 4400 watts up there but settled at 3300 (38’ long). The Panasonic panels I used were key to that.
It’s an open question currently— I don’t see why they wouldn’t work since they’re the same physical size and take the same hoses. It seems silly to me to have a 30k ODU and only plug 18k worth of IDU into it knowing full well I’m in 120°+ during the summers. I don’t care how well insulated they are, it gets HOT in West TX/SE NM. FWIW, Spacecraft uses a 24k ODU.

I should be able to fit 8 60 cell panels up there if I can shift the mini split hats a bit fore/aft— whatever that exact wattage ends up at.

It’s an open question currently— I don’t see why they wouldn’t work since they’re the same physical size and take the same hoses. It seems silly to me to have a 30k ODU and only plug 18k worth of IDU into it knowing full well I’m in 120°+ during the summers. I don’t care how well insulated they are, it gets HOT in West TX/SE NM. FWIW, Spacecraft uses a 24k ODU.

I should be able to fit 8 60 cell panels up there if I can shift the mini split hats a bit fore/aft— whatever that exact wattage ends up at.
Hm. I didn’t see any LG cassette models over 9k. I need to look again.

Hm. I didn’t see any LG cassette models over 9k. I need to look again.
7,9,11, and 18. :). I thought there was a 12, but 11 should work up front.

7,9,11, and 18. :). I thought there was a 12, but 11 should work up front.

Thanks! The 11 is compatible with my 9 it seems. but the 18 would require new piping. I've got a question into Drew now to see why we stuck with 9k's ...

Welp. They made it.

FWIW, I ended up ordering PCBs for a DIYbms setup. Still waiting on a few bits and pieces.

Attachments

• B7FD42A3-B768-4784-B7CB-AF518193B137.jpeg
    B7FD42A3-B768-4784-B7CB-AF518193B137.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 9
Back