diy solar

diy solar

Parallel Single Phase Wiring

Solargrow

Hello Again Folks,
I'm going to wire two 3000w 120v growatt inverters into a parallel 6000w 120v unit. What does that wiring look like at the ac output breaker box? I currently have it in split phase with each unit powering one busbar in the breaker box, with two 15a breakers going out of each bus bar.
What do I need to do differently to make this single phase? Do I need a different box or do I run a jumper wire across the bars? What's the process?
Thank you

What is the exact model number of the unit?
Do you know if this model is made so the output can be connected in parallel?
What does the user manual say about paralleling the output?

What is the exact model number of the unit?
Do you know if this model is made so the output can be connected in parallel?
What does the user manual say about paralleling the output?
Hey Bud,
They are the spf3000tl lvm 48p models. They're made to connect in parallel split phase, single phase or three phase.
The technique to combine them for single phase should be pretty standard, I just don't know what it is. The manual just shows a stick diagram of the two output lines combining into one. Nothing too detailed.
Today is just not my day because I'm having the hardest time finding any resources specifically about this. If anyone has a similar system a picture of their ac output setup would be great.

Hello Again Folks,
I'm going to wire two 3000w 120v growatt inverters into a parallel 6000w 120v unit. What does that wiring look like at the ac output breaker box? I currently have it in split phase with each unit powering one busbar in the breaker box, with two 15a breakers going out of each bus bar.
What do I need to do differently to make this single phase? Do I need a different box or do I run a jumper wire across the bars? What's the process?
Thank you
Take your time and get it right. I don't want to see you posting about this in "Up In Smoke".

Hello Again Folks,
Thank you
A jumper will work for the AC out. I don't remember if that model has an AC input. If it does, that also needs to be combined onto a single 120v single pole breaker.
Then, I believe that all you have to do is change the settings for 120v single phase parallel configuration.

A jumper will work for the AC out. I don't remember if that model has an AC input. If it does, that also needs to be combined onto a single 120v single pole breaker.
Then, I believe that all you have to do is change the settings for 120v single phase parallel configuration.
Wait, I currently have each inverter on it's own ac input coming from two 30a breakers. Those two breakers are on alternating poles at the main panel. What needs to happen here? I need to feed them both from a single 60a breaker and 6ga wire? Or do I just need to move both breakers into the same pole at the main?
Thanks

Wait, I currently have each inverter on it's own ac input coming from two 30a breakers. Those two breakers are on alternating poles at the main panel. What needs to happen here? I need to feed them both from a single 60a breaker and 6ga wire? Or do I just need to move both breakers into the same pole at the main?
Thanks
If you are feeding it in as split phase, then you need to output as split phase.

I have to ask the question why you need to go from 240V split phase to single 120V single phase 6000W system.

If you are feeding it in as split phase, then you need to output as split phase.

I have to ask the question why you need to go from 240V split phase to single 120V single phase 6000W system.
I knew someone would ask :) I'm not going from 240. I'm going from split phase 120 to single phase 120. One of the reasons is so I can jump past the 3000w point and not have to worry about the surge. The other reason is because my inverters are glitching in ways that Signature Solar hasn't been able to figure out yet and we think going single phase might improve the situation.
Either way, it seems like a pretty common procedure. I'm confused as to why there isn't more info about it.

I knew someone would ask :) I'm not going from 240. I'm going from split phase 120 to single phase 120.

If you are feeding input off each phase in the main panel, then you are inputting 240V split phase.

If you want 120V single phase, then it has to all come from 1 phase, you can use one 25A breaker to one inverter, skip one space in the main panel and another 25A breaker in the next spot to the other inverter.

One of the reasons is so I can jump past the 3000w point and not have to worry about the surge. The other reason is because my inverters are glitching in ways that Signature Solar hasn't been able to figure out yet and we think going single phase might improve the situation.

If you are inputting off 2 separate phases, you will have glitches.

Either way, it seems like a pretty common procedure. I'm confused as to why there isn't more info about it.

Not me, unless the Kentucky Derby has been moved tomorrow. lol
It would be so much simpler
If you are feeding input off each phase in the main panel, then you are inputting 240V split phase.

If you want 120V single phase, then it has to all come from 1 phase, you can use one 25A breaker to one inverter, skip one space in the main panel and another 25A breaker in the next spot to the other inverter.

If you are inputting off 2 separate phases, you will have glitches.
This is good stuff! Thanks.
So should I be coming in from the same pole even if I stay in split-phase output?

Whether you choose split-phase or single phase, it should be the same for the input and output.

This is good stuff! Thanks.
So should I be coming in from the same pole even if I stay in split-phase output?
Look at it this way, if you have any 240V devices to run, you need 240V split phase.

If all you need is 120V, then you can pull off the same phase. But you will need to step up wire size most likely.

Whether you choose split-phase or single phase, it should be the same for the input and output.
Okay. And it looks like it's hard to find a single phase panel to use for the ac output so you said I can use the split panel and a jumper? I use 8awg stranded wire for the ac output. What do you think?

Okay. And it looks like it's hard to find a single phase panel to use for the ac output so you said I can use the split panel and a jumper? I use 8awg stranded wire for the ac output. What do you think?
That's fine

Back