diy solar

diy solar

parallel wiring solar panels and shading

timmeh

Hi guys just a quick question.

So the general write ups you see around the net is parallel wiring solar panels means if one is shaded it will not affect the rest of the array.

BUT i keep thinking to myself that considering a shaded panel will drop in voltage and knowing that when wiring miss matched voltage panels in parallel drags them all down to the lowest voltage then would shading not still effect the other panels in parallel to some degree. Not as much as series but still?

BUT i keep thinking to myself that considering a shaded panel will drop in voltage and knowing that when wiring miss matched voltage panels in parallel drags them all down to the lowest voltage then would shading not still effect the other panels in parallel to some degree
The voltage of shaded panels do not drop as much as expected.
In low voltage parallel 12v setups the voltage of shaded panels, if looked at as a disconnected unit, still exceeds the V of the system under most loads so there is no backflow of current or voltage drop to the other parallel set.
I assume this is the case for any higher voltage configuration of panels where the V of the shaded panels still exceed that of the other panels in the sun under load.

Last edited:
Back