diy solar

diy solar

Partial Solar System to supply all critical needs as UPS

PNJ

I investigated Solar Power to supply up to about 95% of my average home needs served from the grid. Came to the conclusion this is not economically justified at all. (I am thinking this info may be of value to the forum readers!)

Now I am committed to the following narrower objective of solar capacity just to power the critical needs, all the time, also using a Li-Ion (LFP) storage battery, backed up by the grid power. Note the direction of the backup. In an absolute emergency, I will power down as needed further, relying just on Solar and the storage battery to keep the house going hopefully 22-25 hrs. Thankfully gas runs the central heater and stove; just needs to run the central fan in the winter. (Plan to add a 1-ph split ac for the bedroom to handle the threat of grid loss in the summer.)

My concerns are: 1) the effect of another snowstorm in central Texas. So, I will have about 3 times the PV panels to address this. Btw, the panels will be ground mounted to keep it clean. (3 to 4.4kw, 9 to 12x 60 cell Panasonic or REC or LG for it's superior aspects of panel efficiency, temperature coefficient and annual degradation.)

2) The sub panel required for the critical needs MUST operate as a true UPS. For this I am leaning towards SolArk-5KW (5 mS switching) all-in-one inverter with at least 5kwhr storage. I am considering a 6kwhr LFP from BigBattery; may double it. (This is in place of 2xBluetti EP500 Pro.)

3) I plan to engage a regular electrician (may not have any prior experience in solar work) to do all this as I find the regular Solar installers only interested in their own packages, for whom the UPS aspect is not a key factor. (They set up to sell the excess to the grid.)

Pls critique my plan. Thanks much in advance.

I have watched many of Will’s Utube clips. Simply amazed by his passion, honesty, and depth of knowledge! Thank You!

I’m in the same boat. Similar requirements and experience with solar installers.

I investigated Solar Power to supply up to about 95% of my average home needs served from the grid. Came to the conclusion this is not economically justified at all. (I am thinking this info may be of value to the forum readers!)

Now I am committed to the following narrower objective of solar capacity just to power the critical needs, all the time, also using a Li-Ion (LFP) storage battery, backed up by the grid power. Note the direction of the backup. In an absolute emergency, I will power down as needed further, relying just on Solar and the storage battery to keep the house going hopefully 22-25 hrs. Thankfully gas runs the central heater and stove; just needs to run the central fan in the winter. (Plan to add a 1-ph split ac for the bedroom to handle the threat of grid loss in the summer.)

My concerns are: 1) the effect of another snowstorm in central Texas. So, I will have about 3 times the PV panels to address this. Btw, the panels will be ground mounted to keep it clean. (3 to 4.4kw, 9 to 12x 60 cell Panasonic or REC or LG for it's superior aspects of panel efficiency, temperature coefficient and annual degradation.)

2) The sub panel required for the critical needs MUST operate as a true UPS. For this I am leaning towards SolArk-5KW (5 mS switching) all-in-one inverter with at least 5kwhr storage. I am considering a 6kwhr LFP from BigBattery; may double it. (This is in place of 2xBluetti EP500 Pro.)

3) I plan to engage a regular electrician (may not have any prior experience in solar work) to do all this as I find the regular Solar installers only interested in their own packages, for whom the UPS aspect is not a key factor. (They set up to sell the excess to the grid.)

Pls critique my plan. Thanks much in advance.

I have watched many of Will’s Utube clips. Simply amazed by his passion, honesty, and depth of knowledge! Thank You!

You are in Texas and you want to rely on the grid as backup power in a storm? Sounds pretty risky. You are probably better off having a generator with large propane tank as backup to your solar system.

Also, why do you need true UPS? If it's to prevent risk of computer or electronic system resets during power transfer then Sol-Ark won't guarantee that. It's an inherent limitation for all line interactive backup power systems. For 100% guarantee of no resets you need to use online double-conversion UPS.

Power wall comes to mind. Aims, sigineer etc have ups features built into their inverter/chargers…
They are low budget features though.

Awhile back I was approached by every solar installer in the area, all with the promise of nothing out of the pocket, free energy forever.

Their sales pitch had more holes than swiss cheese. In the end, their formula assumes massive tax credits I wouldn't get, and the hope that the system loan would be a lower monthly payment that my current electric bill.

All three of the firm quotes I got were $15K. When I calculated what they were selling me, it was a $5K system, so essentially $10K to have a couple guys out here for a partial day to do the install. The company I got the equipment from included a free diagram suitable for the City's permit. The $5K included all fees, permits, and ever foot of wire needed. I just wasn't willing to fork over $10K for a part day of labor.

Power wall comes to mind. Aims, sigineer etc have ups features built into their inverter/chargers…
They are low budget features though.
Look for inverters with built-in transfer switches and/or waveform synchronization. One line of inverters that have these features are the samlex evo line. Victron also offer inverters with wave form synchronization. I am less knowledgeable about their products.

You are in Texas and you want to rely on the grid as backup power in a storm? Sounds pretty risky. You are probably better off having a generator with large propane tank as backup to your solar system.

Also, why do you need true UPS? If it's to prevent risk of computer or electronic system resets during power transfer then Sol-Ark won't guarantee that. It's an inherent limitation for all line interactive backup power systems. For 100% guarantee of no resets you need to use online double-conversion UPS.
Thx Solar84 for the feedback. Sol-Ark claims 4 mS switching. Is that not low enough? Can you pls expand on double-conversion UPS? Does APC UPS operate double-conversion?

My general plan is to use solar/battery for the essential load on a normal basis, switching to grid when Solar/Battery drains, if needed daily.

Awhile back I was approached by every solar installer in the area, all with the promise of nothing out of the pocket, free energy forever.

Their sales pitch had more holes than swiss cheese. In the end, their formula assumes massive tax credits I wouldn't get, and the hope that the system loan would be a lower monthly payment that my current electric bill.

All three of the firm quotes I got were $15K. When I calculated what they were selling me, it was a $5K system, so essentially $10K to have a couple guys out here for a partial day to do the install. The company I got the equipment from included a free diagram suitable for the City's permit. The $5K included all fees, permits, and ever foot of wire needed. I just wasn't willing to fork over $10K for a part day of labor.
Even my partial-solar attempt does not look to be sound financial payback. But the mental need to backup the “great” grid in TX adds a justification, that i am interested in evaluating. Interestingly, I cannot get away without a small fossil fuel generator, without knowing how long the grid may be down with another snow-storm, when the Solar is likely not much productive.

Thx Solar84 for the feedback. Sol-Ark claims 4 mS switching. Is that not low enough? Can you pls expand on double-conversion UPS? Does APC UPS operate double-conversion?

My general plan is to use solar/battery for the essential load on a normal basis, switching to grid when Solar/Battery drains, if needed daily.

All major UPS manufacturers (APC, Tripplite, etc.) offer line interactive and online double-conversion models. Here is the info on the APC offerings: https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/cate...network-and-server/smart-ups-on-line/N-pgx5ae.

Here is a good short overview of line interactive and online double-conversion UPS: https://blog.tripplite.com/line-interactive-vs-on-line-ups-systems.

Look for inverters with built-in transfer switches and/or waveform synchronization. One line of inverters that have these features are the samlex evo line. Victron also offer inverters with wave form synchronization. I am less knowledgeable about their products.
I shall check on Sol-Ark for its capabilities as you suggest and report. Thx

Back