diy solar

diy solar

Passive Top Balancing ? How/Why does it work ?

Sorry for the lack of clarity. My main concern here is the fact that the amperage on the power supply still has never dropped to zero, which means it has still been taking a charge even after 10 days. It should have gone from zero to full after about four and a half days. And yes, I disconnected them from each other to test the individual voltages. I did mean 3.35 to 3.37; sorry. I will edit.

My GUESS would be you weren't actually maintaining 10 amps that whole time..... even though the amps looks OK in the picture.
I would get rid of the alligator clips and verify the current with a clamp meter.

My main concern here is the fact that the amperage on the power supply still has never dropped to zero, which means it has still been taking a charge even after 10 days. It should have gone from zero to full after about four and a half days.

Yes - something doesn't add up. Do one cell at a time and check. Double check the voltages with a multi-meter as well, and the current if you have a clamp meter.

The voltage I'm reading at the clips is 3.31 or 3.32, while it's all connected. As far as measuring current, I have access to a clamp meter but I've never used one and after watching a couple of YouTube videos I don't think I'm doing this right, because all I'm getting when I put the clamp around either the red or black wire with everything connected (&on DC mode & lowest setting of 40a), it only reads a small fraction of an amp (like, 0.03-0.05). I must not be doing this right. Maybe I'll hook up some contact Terminals and try that way...

Tell us which clamp meter you have. Some have a button that changes from AC to DC reading etc. Look for MODE etc and see if it changes.

But as far as the tiny reading I've been getting, the reading honestly bounces around that much - or more - all by itself without the clamp even being around anything.

With a decent psu you can short the leads and get the configured amperage.

OK, what does it mean?
Shorting the leads means connecting the positive lead to the negative lead thus creating a short circuit.
A good constant current, constant voltage power supply should maintain the configured amperage by reducing the charge voltage.
A not so good cc/cv psu will make a pitiful noise like a dying swan as lets out the magic smoke.
Do you feel lucky?
Before you attempt that you should test the resistance of each lead.
Test and report back please.

Um... no dying swans for me, thank you. I just connected ring terminals instead of the clips and I'm actually reading some amperage now. I think I'll let it do its thing for a while and see what happens. But thanks!

Back