diy solar

diy solar

Paying upfront with long lead time

tigerwillow1

Solar Enthusiast
This is more of an economic or philosophical question than technical. I'm looking at one particular company but don't think it's necessary to be specific other to say it's a USA company. The situation is pre-ordering some batteries for say $5,000, with the projected delivery date 2 months out. Full upfront payment is required, which sets off my risk alarm with all sorts of questions: What if they just don't deliver, or deliver a box of bricks? What if the delivery date gets pushed out another 6 months? What if the company goes out of business? Etc... Waiting for 2 month delivery likely forfeits any protections afforded to a credit card purchase.

My question is if this is an unreasonable risk I should walk away from, or is it that's how the business works and everybody does it that way, or something in-between?

I personally would never pre-order anything over a couple hundred dollars. And after seeing the battery group buy fiasco here, I would not do it on batteries at all. I would rather suck up the extra cost of getting them when actually available.

Back