diy solar

diy solar

PCB with integrated bus bars and balance wires from the PowerBlock battery.

OverkillSolar

Solar Enthusiast
In Will's latest video he pulled this board out of the PowerBlock battery that had all of the bus bars and balance wires integrated.

Good idea or no?

Image from iOS (4).jpg

If I had this made for connecting my BMSs to the 280ah cells would you buy it? I can see pros and cons to this design.

Pro: neatly packaged battery assembly, easy connections to the balance wires.

Con: If the fiberglass board material compresses over time it could lead to loose/hot connections.

Most of my EVE 280Ah cells arrived (xuba + luyuan) undulating on the long sides and concave on the short sides.

As such parallel top balancing already puts tension on the terminal screws with slotted busbars, not so bad when the batteries are in series.

20200924_185400.jpg

Most of my EVE 280Ah cells arrived (xuba + luyuan) undulating on the long sides and concave on the short sides.

As such parallel top balancing already puts tension on the terminal screws with slotted busbars, not so bad when the batteries are in series.

View attachment 26515
I think I could do it with 2 hole patterns, wide and narrow.

Because the distances between poles is uneven, the cells will have a slight tilt, so the terminals wont all be completely level.

Main problem I see with this design is the current carrying capacity.

It all depends on the current you want to handle. If you want to support 1C then even with a 4 layers 2 oz PCB it'll not be good enough. It works well with traces lengths of a few mm but past that you'll get too much heat and voltage drop.

For lower currents like 100-150 A max it would work ;)

Now the cost is another issue, it may or may not be competitive with classic copper busbars, you'd need to run the numbers to know.

Back