diy solar

diy solar

Peer review on my plans

naegle

I am looking to replace a set of 6Volt Crown flooded cell batteries with a DIY LiFePO4 build. I am currently planning to get 16 of the 280Ah cells and build four 12volt banks. I am leaning towards the Overkill 120A BMS for each bank so I would have four in parallel in the system. I am sticking with 12volts as this is going in our RV which has a significant 12volt system now and my Victron inverters are 12volts. I currently have 1200 watts of solar but will be expanding to about 4200 watts around the same time this is going in. The RV is stationary on our property and the solar panels will be ground mounted ( I knew you would ask how in the hell I was getting 4000+watts of solar on an RV. :)) Thanks for any feedback and thoughts.

Let me give you a different option on the BMS. I am going with Batrium Watchmon4 bms. I like it because I have one battery (in my case 2p4s of 272ah cells), I can connect to my Victron CCGX on the CAN-Bus. And it has several features I really like.

Let me give you a different option on the BMS. I am going with Batrium Watchmon4 bms. I like it because I have one battery (in my case 2p4s of 272ah cells), I can connect to my Victron CCGX on the CAN-Bus. And it has several features I really like.
I will take a look at those.

Wow! I am in almost the same situation. I am anxious to see comments as well.

Question for you I'm not finding a clear answer on their site.. Can the watchmon support 4p4s configurations? Do you just continue to cover your cells in a string from one battery pack to another? So on these cells you'd have one Watchmon4, but 16 of the Blockmon and it doesn't matter if you are ultimately in a 12,24, or 48 configuration?

That is a good question. Here is my understanding (maybe not correct - you may want to send an email to Batrium).

I have some thoughts of expanding my 2p4s to a 3p4s system. I will continue to use one blockmom per “super cell”, so I only still only need 4 blockmons. (If I had the room and I wanted a 4p4s - I would do the same - just expand the “super cell”). Because of the buss bars, I don’t think there would be any real difference having 2,3 or 4 blockmons on a single super cell.

although from reading about the system I believe you could do that if you wanted (ask them) I think their architecture supports it.

Now if your question is will it support a 4s4p (four in a series making a 12v battery then four 12v batteries parallel together) this I don’t know at all. I think it might(?), but it would be more problematic.

send them an email - they always got back to me in a day or so (because of time differences).

That is a good question. Here is my understanding (maybe not correct - you may want to send an email to Batrium).

I have some thoughts of expanding my 2p4s to a 3p4s system. I will continue to use one blockmom per “super cell”, so I only still only need 4 blockmons. (If I had the room and I wanted a 4p4s - I would do the same - just expand the “super cell”). Because of the buss bars, I don’t think there would be any real difference having 2,3 or 4 blockmons on a single super cell.

although from reading about the system I believe you could do that if you wanted (ask them) I think their architecture supports it.

Now if your question is will it support a 4s4p (four in a series making a 12v battery then four 12v batteries parallel together) this I don’t know at all. I think it might(?), but it would be more problematic.

send them an email - they always got back to me in a day or so (because of time differences).
Hmmm, I would think you would want one on each individual cell. I had already emailed the company and will let you know what I get back from them.

Back