diy solar

diy solar

Pelican Case inside Van Camper

FoxenTEC

Been searching the threads and haven't seen this answered yet. I live where it is very hot. I cannot leave LiFePO4 batteries full time in our van as the ambient is often in the hundreds and inside the van is 111 to 120 or so. The plan is to place two LiFePO4 batteries inside a Pelican or Seahorse case and mount the batteries on their sides. (securing them within the case) I then will connect them to my power backboard bus in the van with a SB Series Anderson Connector. The case would only be in the van when we travel and thus not left in the hot van at home. Question: Should there be a fan within the case and venting because the Pelican cases are air tight. Possibly a small computer fan. I am looking at purchasing two Vmax Tanks 65ah batteries for the case. (10.2" x 6.6" x 8.2" each) The MPPT, Fuse Block, Bus bars and disconnect switches are on the backboard in the van. Thank you!

Attachments

• pelican-im2450-usa-made-plastic-camera-case.jpg
    pelican-im2450-usa-made-plastic-camera-case.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 5
I’m not sure if you’re trying to reduce the heat in your van or just making a travel box? But maybe we’re trying to solve the same problem.

I’m curious if you’ve had any experience so far with trying to operate in these high temp conditions? If so what were the results?

I haven’t been able to test ambient temp in my van because I’m now in a colder climate preparing to move to somewhere with 85 degree highs so preparing.

Right now my solutions have been to make window shades that completely block out the sun with reflectix material.

Beyond that I’m thinking of buying fans similar to those that move air in electronics cabinets. Mounting these fans to a board cut to fit the top of my passenger/driver windows so they are 3/4 rolled up safely sandwiching the board & fans so no one can get in the car when I leave it. So one pulling air into the van, and another pushing it out.

I’m not sure if the fans you’re suggesting are meant to simply vent the battery box or if you are trying to cool it as well. If you are trying to cool it I think with out intake from the exterior of the van and another blowing air out that might just be simply moving the hot air around.

You’re getting 111-120 interior temp, what’s the temp outside? Thanks!

I’d like to start this off by asking who actually removes their batteries consistently? If so I’d Ike to hear. Unintended consequences Of accidental damage that stopped me from removing.

IMO, few if any people actually remove their batteries from their vehicle. I was dead set that I would, but when it came down to it with 2 X 8S 280 ah batteries, not a good idea to remove those. In your decision to remove them, make sure you weigh the very real chance that Something will get damaged. In my case, disassembling 36 bolts, and 14 busbars for my 16 cells to top it off with the BMS was not practical. THat is 200 LBS of stuff to take out. I’ve worked on a lot of things that got damaged through wear and tear or even unnecessary preventative maintenance.

If you think you can safely remove this case without damaging it, bu all means do so, If not, may be worth a new set of batteries if they die at 5 instead of 10 years.

I’m in Phoenix and can confirm leaving AGM batteries in the van over summer can drastically reduce their life.

Are you only going to charge with solar? How many watts of panels? What is the biggest draw? Will you have an inverter?

I think moving large amount of amps will create heat you need to watch out for. Then a fan would be helpful. But if it’s just 10 or less amps no problem.

If your like me, you are using the van to get out of the heat, and won’t have issues when you get out of the heat.

I am building two batteries now one in our Jeep and one in the camper. And I am making the easy to move in and out so I can store them in the house during the summer. I have have temperatures over 130 degrees in my camper where I keep the battery.

I am using 50 amp Anderson connectors on my batteries also.

You could mount the MPPT in the van to keep that heat source away out of the case. I bet if you built the battery you could easy if 230-280AH in that same space.

Todd

Well actually it was never to lower the temps inside the van. I just felt keeping batteries in the van while sitting in 100-109 degree days on end would not be good for the LIFePO4 batteries sitting permanently in the van. I discussed this with the Battle Born folks too. I have since Sept. gone several different routes. I love spreadsheets and hashed out many different scenarios including initial costs, total cost per ah and weight. Long story short, we went with a portable power solution. It has 2000ah capacity and while still fairly heavy, we move back out of the van when not being used. Would I do this again? Absolutely not. I had not idea (my own fault) that I didn't think about the fact that even without running the AC inverter side of the portable unit, just having the DC side on would gobble power even with zero load. In 9 hours, I would drop 16% (figure 90% possible of 2000ah and drop 16% every 9 hours with or without load sucks) For me, batteries is the way I should have gone. None of this conversion stuff. (I think the battery in it is 48V) My van is mostly all 12V DC and I would have been better off with just 12V batteries. Now, back to square one.

Something doesn’t sound right. 2,000 AH and you can lift it and carry it? I have two 230AH batteries and there is no way I could lift both.

16% in 9 hours? That’s 320 AH. I can run my fridge/freezer in my Jeep for 6.5 days off of one 230AH battery. Without adding any charging.

Something is not right.

Todd

Well actually it was never to lower the temps inside the van. I just felt keeping batteries in the van while sitting in 100-109 degree days on end would not be good for the LIFePO4 batteries sitting permanently in the van. I discussed this with the Battle Born folks too. I have since Sept. gone several different routes. I love spreadsheets and hashed out many different scenarios including initial costs, total cost per ah and weight. Long story short, we went with a portable power solution. It has 2000ah capacity and while still fairly heavy, we move back out of the van when not being used. Would I do this again? Absolutely not. I had not idea (my own fault) that I didn't think about the fact that even without running the AC inverter side of the portable unit, just having the DC side on would gobble power even with zero load. In 9 hours, I would drop 16% (figure 90% possible of 2000ah and drop 16% every 9 hours with or without load sucks) For me, batteries is the way I should have gone. None of this conversion stuff. (I think the battery in it is 48V) My van is mostly all 12V DC and I would have been better off with just 12V batteries. Now, back to square one.
If you can move the battery, it is 2000Wh, not Ah…

2000Ah @ 48V would weigh around 1.5tons…

Back