diy solar

diy solar

Pelton to 110v ac?

GFruge

I’ve been investigating doing supplement hydro to my solar system. Checking into various 48v dc options.

Well I visited my brother-in-laws farm. He got 40’ of head with an unlimited amount of water. His electricity needs are low.

So, my mind starts working and of course I’m new to the hydro world.

So, here’s my question. Can a pelton wheel be used to turn a pulley? Like, can I take a gas powered generator, remove the gas engine, and be able to turn the generator to produce 110v electricity?

The only thing that makes me think it’s not possible is when a large load hits, the gas engine can be heard running harder.

I have never tried what you are suggesting but bear in mind , to start the generator turning, you might need a significant amount of force. You definitely will if there is a load on it. or if it is a pM ( permanent magnet) generator with significant "cogging".

Voltage and frequency will be all over the place as the turbine speed changes under load.
Your gas engine has a speed governor and a voltage regulator.
Anything is possible, but I think it would be very difficult to get it working really well.

Don't use a pulley, rather direct drive to the shaft.
Velocity of water coming from a pipe after 40' drop is same as if a weight dropped from 40' (minus whatever pressure loss from friction.)
Water should hit wheel, do an about 180, come back the other way (relative to the wheel) and have zero velocity. Buckets on wheel move 50% velocity of water.
With that and pelton wheel diameter you can calculate RPM.

Pelton wheel usually recommended for 100' or greater head

Turgo from 15m, 50', closer to your application.

Back