diy solar

diy solar

Phase 1 of my RV Solar/Battery upgrade

cwstnsko

I decided to upgrade my RV so I could extend the time I spend off grid with having to run the generator.

I started with a basic RV electrical system with a PD9160 converter with Charge Wizard, Two 12 year old, used up T-105+ FLA batteries in series and alternator charging of the house batteries via an isolater.

I ordered an HQST kit with 2 x 100w Monocrystalline panels and their 20A MPPT solar charge controller. For Batteries, I ordered a set of 2 Lion Energy UT-1300s from Costco. I picked up and AiLi Battery monitor to keep tabs on the batteries and I have been gradually accumulating all of wire, switches, breakers, fuses etc. to be able to complete the install have a 1500w Xantrex XPower inverter that I've been carrying around for years and never got around to installing. My current plan is to shut off the breaker to the converter when not hooked to shore power and plug the shore power cord into the inverter to give me 110V throughout the trailer.

After running the batteries down a bit with mt refrigerator test described below, I wired them up to the PD9160, and was able to fully charge them quickly at 45-55a by using the Charge wizard button the override the default 4 stage charge profile and force it into boost mode, where it topped out at 14.53V before the BMS stopped the charging. I then dropped the converter back to normal mode which floated at about 13.65V with the converter handling the 12V loads and the batteries staying fully charged. It's not a fully auto-pilot match to the LiFePO4 batteries, but with a little intervention and caution, it should work well until I commit to Phase 2 of my build.

The main load that I have to contend with is my refrigerator, which is a small residential unit that I swapped in a couple years ago when the original absorption refer gave out. I did a 7 hour run test last weekend, running the fridge off the inverter connected to the batteries and used about 20 Ah in the 7 hour test, putting me at about 70-75 Ah per day of load due to the fridge. If the residential fridge becomes too much to deal with, I'll look into the new Dometic 12V compressor drop-in model, but after enjoying a compressor fridge for a few years, I can't see going back to an absobtion fridge ever again. Most of the other loads will light by comparison. The microwave and coffee maker are only used rarely and all of the main lights in the trailer have been upgraded to LEDs. We do have 3 fantastic fans, but outside of shower time, we usually only run 1 on low to keep a little air moving through the RV when needed

Here is a drawing of what I am thinking so far. The heavy line at the bottom is meant to represent the RV chassis :)
The cables paralleling the batteries are 2 awg, The cable from the negative of the battery to the shunt is 1/0. I ordered the 350A shunt, but the one I received is marked 500A. The double terminal mount fuse block will be attached directly to the positive post with a 250A fuse to the inverter and 75A fuse to the 12V power center & converter. The inverter came with cables that I plan to use, I believe the are 1 awg, but they are not marked. When I wire the switch in the positive wire, I'll find out. The existing cable to the power center and converter is 6 awg. I think the wire that comes with solar kit is 12 awg and I will run 10 awg from the solar controller to the batteries through a 25a circuit breaker. I have switches to disconnect the solar and the inverter. There is an existing storage mode switch in the RV to disconnect the batteries from the 12V load center. My plan is to forego charging the house batteries from the alternator at this time and figure out how much of a need there is before making that investment. Most of the places I drive seem to get full sun, so we'll have to see how that works out.

Phase-1_RV_Solar_upgrade.jpg

Of course I am looking for any input/feedback or concerns that other more experienced DIYers may have.

Assuming this works as expected, I may start planning for Phase 2 of this adventure. On the roof of my RV, I have room for a total of 13 of the 36x26 panels like the 1st two I ordered, and I have been researching high SEER mini-split installations. Of course that would involve more batteries and possibly push me into 24V territory :cool:

Thanks
Chris W

I am not sure you need / want the CB on the output of the solar charge controller. I believe I read somewhere that disconnecting the battery while charging can damage the charge controller. I could be mistaken though. Also not sure of what you are trying to protect.

Thanks for the thoughts, it prompted me to better understand the reason behind the blueprints, rather than just copy them :) .
I saw that Breaker in most of the blueprints, so I just replicated it. After skimming Will’s book again, it appears that it is to prevent a fire if there were to be a short on the solar controller end of the wire. Since the wire is connected to the battery bank, it needs a fuse that will trip before the relatively small gauge wire melts down, should something bad happen on the solar charge controller circuit.
I have also read that it’s a bad idea to have the panels feeding the controller with no battery connected, but I guess damaging a controller is preferable to burning up your RV.

Are you ditching your generator? I see the separate battery in the diagram attached to the alternator. Is that a starting battery for your generator?

Are you ditching your generator? I see the separate battery in the diagram attached to the alternator. Is that a starting battery for your generator?

That is the chassis alternator and starting battery for the motorhome. I initially planned to use a charge controller with integrated DC-DC charging, so a prior version of my diagram showed connection to it. I left it on the diagram in case I decide alternator charging is helpful.
I do have an onboard generator, but haven’t used it since it stopped running right years ago. I use a much quieter and fuel efficient standalone generator when I need generator power. The onboard generator is still hooked up to either the house or chassis batteries for starting. I should probably explore that in more detail in case I decide to fix it. With solar and bigger batteries, I expect much Less frequent generator use and for shorter durations, so the onboard generator might be more tolerable, allowing me to leave the portable generator at home most of the time.

Ah, got it. I have my RV trailer blinders on.

I'm trying to decide if my next trailer will have an on-board generator or not. I may pass on it so that I can use the generator compartment for batteries and electronics. The downside is that the generator compartment isn't part of the rest of the trailer so it isn't heated.

I looked at a toy hauler last week. When I found out it had a non-working generator, I decided it wasn't worth further consideration. Given sufficient solar and battery, I think a Honda 2K generator might be enough to cover those times that the batteries lack sufficient charge.

The switch between the 250A fuse on the terminal block and the inverter is intended to allow me to cut power to the inverter. The 250A fuse is to overload protect the inverter feed.

Victron's diagram does it the same way. It seems to me that having the switch upstream of the fuse would allow me to cut off all power so I can work on the fuse, without disconnecting the lead at the battery. But if Victron is OK with having the fuse first, I must be wrong.

I think the idea is that the fuse should be as close to the battery as possible. The terminal block is as close as I could get. :)
i think the thought is tat every inch of wire between the battery and the fuse is unprotected and represents risk.

I think the idea is that the fuse should be as close to the battery as possible. The terminal block is as close as I could get. :)
i think the thought is tat every inch of wire between the battery and the fuse is unprotected and represents risk.

Makes sense to me.

Prior to mounting the 2 panels I have, I decided to map out the roof of my RV to a Max panel configuration, to ensure that My initial panel placement does not impact my expansion plans
This is what my roof would look like with 14 panels on it:
RV Roof.JPG
The front vent and the living room skylight obviously become much more difficult to access from the roof, but all the other items are still pretty easy to get to. I've been toying with the idea of tying 2 panels to a separate 12V battery bank for the 12V loads and feeding the other 12 panels to a larger 48V battery bank that could run the inverter and possibly a DC mini-split in a later phase of my project.

Back