diy solar

diy solar

Phoenix Inverter 1200VA - Can this feed a Manual transfer switch??

jeremyee

I am looking to connect a off grid solar system to the house electrical system. I have a 24V 1200VA Victron inverter i would like to feed a manual transfer switch via 50 amp plug via breaker / disconnect box. The transfer switch passes the inverter / generator neutral to the neutral on the load center where the ground is bonded to the neutral. I have done a bunch of research and it looks like this will work but I have some wierd voltages from the inverter. With the inverter NOT connected to the house electrical system and with or without the chassis ground on the inverter to a ground rod (Earth ground). The inverter Hot to ground and neutral to ground off the inverter A/C outlet has 60 Volts A/C. Hot to neutral has 120 volts. I checked the inverter and the neutral is NOT bonded to the A/C Ground but the A/C Ground IS bonded to the chassis ground.

Question 1 - Will this inverter 24V 1200VA Victron work in this design?
Question 2 - The Inverter having 60 volts from Hot to ground and Neutral to Ground normal and will this change when the inverter neutral and ground is bonded in the load center?

Attachments

• solarDesign.PNG
    solarDesign.PNG
    205.4 KB · Views: 14
If you bond the neutral to ground for this test (while disconnected from your main panel where the bond is), if you bond them, does the 60v simply drop to zero (like there is no real amps backing it, just pulls it down to zero)... (no ground rod at this point in the system?)

I suppose you could ask Victron if they could indicate like they've seen this behavior and it is not a concern. It might just be because the transformer where the ground and the neutral are wound in are inducting a voltage between them (half of the total 120v, like the hot is one leg, and the neutral is another leg, inducting some voltage through to the ground) as it's floating with no ground until the bond is made. Also is the ground rod connected to the real ground when you're seeing the 60v between hot to ground?

I don't know, I don't really know what is going on there, but just shooting out some thoughts that are going through my mind. I would think if the ground rod is connected and the bond is made between neutral and ground, and if the 60v is not there, then it would be fine, like it's just some kind of artifact no real ground is present, like inducting some voltage across the transformer (and nothing really backing it, like no amps to back it, like it's not a real potential backing it)... I don't know if I'm articulating my point in the best way. I know a little about electronics (made some minor repairs before) but not like an expert at inverter circuits to where I can give any kind of real technical answer...

I might make sure that the Victron ground is always connected to the main circuit box ground going to the ground rod at all times (regardless of the transfer switch selection, just for ground consistency (if not already)...

Not sure how useful my post is, if none else, just some food for thought is all...

Last edited:
You have some good points

1) I am pending a reply from the vendor if that 60 volts is normal with the neutral NOT being bonded to the ground with the inverter in a standalone test setup.
2) As for the 60 Volts I have seen some people say it's because the neutral is not bonded to the ground or it's because the neutral is tapped between the 120 volts. This is also pending the vendors reply

Let me bond the Neutral to ground in the inverter and retest.

Thanks for the feedback

Back