diy solar

diy solar

Phone wire

Majkhands

As part of the electrically challenged, I have on hand 1000s of feet of 6 strand copper wire phone cable. I assume it is 18 Guage, it is heavy and difficult to bend short sections with my fingers.
If I strip the ends and twist them together on each end would they effectually become 12 Guage?
If that works how many amps would it carry. I would like to power circuits in my travel trailer.

As part of the electrically challenged, I have on hand 1000s of feet of 6 strand copper wire phone cable. I assume it is 18 Guage, it is heavy and difficult to bend short sections with my fingers.
If I strip the ends and twist them together on each end would they effectually become 12 Guage?
If that works how many amps would it carry. I would like to power circuits in my travel trailer.
This calculator has input for 1 2 3 or 4 parallel conductors.

Don’t do it.

Phone wire is typically hard drawn copper wire, not stranded. Please confirm that is what you have.

The last place you want to use that to carry power is in a mobile application.

Don’t do it.

Phone wire is typically hard drawn copper wire, not stranded. Please confirm that is what you have.

The last place you want to use that to carry power is in a mobile application.
Yes it is 8 single strand insulated wire.
The sheathing say "carol (R) 18 AFW Type CL2 E60233-8 (UL) 105c Sunlight resistant made in USA". Looking at the calculator, 18g is .04 x the 8 wires has the equivalent size of 1/0. I know I am missing something. As memory serves 1/0 is almost the diameter of my pinky.
My other confusion is the purpose if Rome single strand vs multi strand wire.

This site does not like my photos.
I typed the info below, but here it is again.
"carol (R) 18 AFW Type CL2 E60233-8 (UL) 105c Sunlight resistant made in USA"
Thank you.

is it worth it?

Screenshot_20210406-144326_Chrome.jpg
I’m going to go with depends—-I would not use it for my RV solar panel installation because I Want 10 gauge to avoid losses. I would use it to run a 40’ or 50’ length of positive and negative wire to power some charging ports in the back of the RV to avid a high voltage loss.

For outdoors, I like to use this PV WIre:

Once a string of panels hits a combiner, and the wire gets thicker, it’s not exposed to the elements, and I use xlp-use-2-rhh-rhw-2 wire:

I’m still going with don’t do it ?

The phone wire that is.

AC works fine with solid copper because the electrons "don't travel". The energy is transmitted "back and forth" through the entire cross-section of the wire.

DC needs a multistrand wire because the electrons "do travel". Traveling electrons "travel" on the outer edge of the wire, not through the middle. The more strands the easier, and less resistant to traveling.

Will your phone wire work? Yes. Is it efficient, absolutely not.

Even though phone systems are DC, the voltage is 48V, but the amps are somewhere in the 0.02 area and 180-ohm resistance.
Resistance on a typical welding wire 1/0 is very low. 1/0 welding wire is good for 200 amps to 250 feet. This is due to practically 0 ohms.

AC works fine with solid copper because the electrons "don't travel". The energy is transmitted "back and forth" through the entire cross-section of the wire.

DC needs a multistrand wire because the electrons "do travel". Traveling electrons "travel" on the outer edge of the wire, not through the middle. The more strands the easier, and less resistant to traveling.
I'm completely new to most electrical wiring requirements and only looking for accurate information (not a fight) - what you describe above seems contraindicated somewhat by this information, where DC does utilize all of the wires cross section (solid or stranded), and AC tends to use the outer layer of conductor (particularly noticeable in higher AC frequencies). I'm sure there's more to this I'm missing.

Back