diy solar

diy solar

Phone wire

I'm completely new to most electrical wiring requirements and only looking for accurate information (not a fight) - what you describe above seems contraindicated somewhat by this information, where DC does utilize all of the wires cross section (solid or stranded), and AC tends to use the outer layer of conductor (particularly noticeable in higher AC frequencies). I'm sure there's more to this I'm missing.
Yep, I wrote it flipyfloppy. Easy to do.

Now focus on using DC wire for DC circuits. :) I have used phone wire on speaker cables before, it worked if that's all there is. The guys at monster cable just vomited in their mouths too.?

Think about this for a monkey wrench...
A "speaker" (The thing that makes noise!) is an AC circuit, but you never use solid wire for the connection from the amp to the driver!

Last edited:
A "speaker" (The thing that makes noise!) is an AC circuit
Is it more accurate saying that a moving coil in a speaker isn't an AC circuit in the traditional sense (i.e., 110 volt alternating current mains power at a specific and constant rate/hertz)) which fluctuates from positive to negative, but rather it is still DC current on two separate 'rails' (a "+" rail and a "-" rail) that fluctuates from no signal (0 volts) to some signal that the speaker requires (i.e., 30V) depending on how much signal fluctuation is being received from the source (a vocal recording, record grooves, microphone, etc) and how much amplification of those signals (sound level) is desired?

telephone wire is 24 guage
Another of my challenges, typos. AWF is AWG. Oh and smart phone corrections.
My experience is small multistage insulated wire is telephone wire.
Attached is a picture of greenhouses information on the wire sheathing. If this picture works I will post a picture with a dime and the exposed wire.
I am not clear why the resistance increases in smaller gauge wire. Thank you for the solid strand AC and multistrand DC.
I agree using substandard resources is foolish. I was interested to know why it was not a workable solution. Thousands of feet of an obsolete material is frustrating. No landlines in my world, I guess it goes to scrap.
Thank you all for the lively informative discussion

I agree using substandard resources is foolish. I was interested to know why it was not a workable solution. Thousands of feet of an obsolete material is frustrating. No landlines in my world, I guess it goes to scrap.

What phone, LAN, or similar wire would be good for is control circuits.
If you build an off-grid PV system, the trick is how to best use the power you've generated. Draw too much, and batteries are drained so you don't have power. Draw too little, and PV production goes unused.
Based on state of charge, timers, priority pre-emption, and other methods you can enable thermostat and power relay circuits to control loads.

Is it more accurate saying that a moving coil in a speaker isn't an AC circuit in the traditional sense (i.e., 110 volt alternating current mains power at a specific and constant rate/hertz)) which fluctuates from positive to negative, but rather it is still DC current on two separate 'rails' (a "+" rail and a "-" rail) that fluctuates from no signal (0 volts) to some signal that the speaker requires (i.e., 30V) depending on how much signal fluctuation is being received from the source (a vocal recording, record grooves, microphone, etc) and how much amplification of those signals (sound level) is desired?

What if I play a recording of a plucked string with a 60Hz fundamental?

It’s far more accurate to describe an analog audio signal as AC.

Lamp cord makes GREAT speaker cabling, FWIW. Phone cord can too if the power is low enough.

It’s far more accurate to describe an analog audio signal as AC.
That's evident because the DC fluctuates/alternates but not in consistent way that mains AC does. Describing it as "an AC signal" in the way it was above leaves out important information that people who aren't as familiar with electricity need to understand what's happening.

but you never use solid wire for the connection from the amp to the driver!
The rest of the speaker wire explanations re: AC vs DC / solid vs stranded are moot in real world consumer applications, it seems. It looks like ethernet cabling with solid wires (un-stranded) can accommodate high quality audio in many situations, mostly fixed (non-mobile) installations. Stranded is more flexible and has advantages where portability is needed. I would like to see some frequency comparison data on the stranded vs solid speaker wire if anyone has that.

Last edited:
I'm completely new to most electrical wiring requirements and only looking for accurate information (not a fight) - what you describe above seems contraindicated somewhat by this information, where DC does utilize all of the wires cross section (solid or stranded), and AC tends to use the outer layer of conductor (particularly noticeable in higher AC frequencies). I'm sure there's more to this I'm missing.
SillyPutty, You are correct. AC has a skin effect and DC does not.

That's evident because the DC fluctuates/alternates but not in consistent way that mains AC does. Describing it as "an AC signal" in the way it was above leaves out important information that people who aren't as familiar with electricity need to understand what's happening.
Sigh. No. “Fluctuating DC” is actually AC by...definition. It’s not 60Hz/120V but so what? As a matter of fact, you can represent that “inconsistent fluctuation” as a sum of sine waves! (Fourier Transform)

Lots of AC out there that isn’t AC mains and sometimes AC and DC exist at the same time! The AC/DC circuit concerns affect those just like strict AC or DC signals but you get to deal with both :D

Consider, for instance, a square wave that switches between, say, 0 and 5V. This is clearly an AC signal with a DC bias even if it never goes negative.

Look, having an MSEE to exasperate themselves at someone who's just beginning to explore electrical stuff is almost too much for me to handle! o_O Seriously, though, I do understand that electrical systems have nuances that you people are still arguing over, often for very good reason.

That said, there is no way that the "explanation" of a speaker being an AC circuit will not produce the same puzzled results with most newcomers, firstly because there was no real explanation of why that's the case given, and secondly because the OP had an error in his description of the skin effect in his post that naturally leads a skeptic to question every thing else they say later on. ;-) :unsure:

Look, having an MSEE to exasperate themselves at someone who's just beginning to explore electrical stuff is almost too much for me to handle! o_O Seriously, though, I do understand that electrical systems have nuances that you people are still arguing over, often for very good reason.

That said, there is no way that the "explanation" of a speaker being an AC circuit will not produce the same puzzled results with most newcomers, firstly because there was no real explanation of why that's the case given, and secondly because the OP had an error in his description of the skin effect in his post that naturally leads a skeptic to question every thing else they say later on. ;-) :unsure:
See the dust devils :)

Back