diy solar

diy solar

Pimp my (Brother's) Pop-Up!

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I've talked my brother into considering letting me pimp out his older Coleman pop-up camper with solar and some LiFe loving. I'll need to keep it at 12v because of the furnace, lights, fridge (he just sprang for a 12v compressor fridge for it), water pump, etc. so no going to a 24v setup or anything.

What I'm looking at so far for parts:
600w Solar Panel Kit for the panels and wires. I don't know why they call framed panels "Flexible" but it's a good value for 2 panels.

3x NewPowah 210w Panels since the last listing was BS, 3 of these would fit the bill OR
3x Rich Solar 200w Panels since they're a little bit shorter.

Which would mean a Combiner Box to run a 3p setup to alleviate shading issues.

EPEver 50a MPPT controller. Comes with the remote display, temp probe, pretty much maxes out at 580w of panel for a 12v setup.

Lithium Battery 20a charger for the shore power input. I couldn't really find an affordable 40a or so.

Giandel 2200w Inverter since I trust Will and that should be more than overkill for what he might need.

**Some Battery System** of LiFePo4 flavor, 200Ah-300Ah range with a 200A BMS to feed that inverter under heavy load. I'd like to find something more affordable than a SOK at $1100, but I absolutely NEED the low temp cutoff and that seems to be hard to find. I'm going to be replacing his existing battery box so no real dimensional limits there other than it makes the rackmount versions a real pain to fit. Suggestions please?

Most of the loads are real light, he usually ran it with a 80Ah FLA but had no inverter involved so his 120v system was for show when he was actually using it. I'd like to rectify that.

Here are my goals:

Run all his current 12v stuff. I'm overseas until July so I can't go look at his data plates for a power audit, but his old battery would run for a long weekend just fine. I'll be adding in some 12v -> USB charging ports I'm sure. No need to be able to charge from the car while being towed. I'll re-use his existing fuse block and wiring for the 12v stuff.

Bypass the shore power input to just feed the battery charger and run all his 120v stuff through the inverter all the time.

Keep the physical footprint as small as possible. A battery in a box on the tongue is one thing, but I can't physically fit much inside the little trailer space so no huge inverters or SCC's.

Keep the system as simple as possible. No bluetooth to the phone, no wifi connection to the cloud, no fu@%ing phone app! as plug & play as possible.

The ability to run an electric coffee pot (mine is about 300w and times out after 2 hours), a 1500w induction cooker for a half hour at a time, maybe 20w worth of LED light bulbs (maybe), laptop, fan? No AirCon, they can open a window. :)

In a perfect world, design/fab a hinge system so he can get the panels up at an angle when parked and locked flat for transport. But that's on me. :)

I've got about $1,000 just in the listed parts above, I'm really hoping I can shave some cost on the batteries. I'll still need fuses and wire and such so I need to allow for that.

Suggestions? Besides the battery, what am I missing?

Last edited:
600w Solar Panel Kit for the panels and wires. I don't know why they call framed panels "Flexible" but it's a good value for 2 panels.
Given the dimensions 46” X 22”, I think these are more 100 watt size. Seems to me this kit popped up in a different post, and also underperformed for the size. Great price for 600 watts of panels, but if these are 100 watt panels, you can go to the Renogy site and have individual parts delivered to you for a little less.

What is your plan for mounting the panels? Most of the pop ups I see do not look like its easy. I’m wondering if these will be made into portable.

Given the dimensions 46” X 22”, I think these are more 100 watt size. Seems to me this kit popped up in a different post, and also underperformed for the size. Great price for 600 watts of panels, but if these are 100 watt panels, you can go to the Renogy site and have individual parts delivered to you for a little less.
Aahh, good catch. The data plate lies to itself. Those are 100w panels. Gotta keep looking I guess.

Maximum power(Pmax): 300W
Output tolerance: ± 3%
Maximum system voltage: 700V DC
Open circuit voltage(Voc): 21.6V
Short circuit current(Isc): 6.11 A

Maximum power voltage(Vmp): 18V
Maximum power current(Imp): 5.55A

Maybe 3 of the NewPowah 200w panels?

What is your plan for mounting the panels? Most of the pop ups I see do not look like its easy. I’m wondering if these will be made into portable.

His doesn't have an air conditioner mounted, it's just one huge flat aluminum plate across the top. I was just going to do a rail on the bottom, hinges, rail on the top with adjustable legs for angles and some spring clamps to hold the panels flat while driving.

Well, he kinda nixed the whole rebuild plan, but I'm going to have it for a week unattended next August so it might "accidently" get a SCC, inverter, and a couple of the HF deployable panels while he's not there. :devilish: I'm VERY confident that his little battery isn't going to last the 10 days it'll be set up and lived in.

New plan:

EPEver 20a MPPT SCC (that I already have and isn't big enough for the original planned use)
2x HF 100w panels in parallel
New-ish 120Ah FLA battery (because I have spares and I'm sure he's killed his by now)
1500w PSW inverter
150a Fuse
Some wire, terminals, and a main battery cut-off switch
Extension cord 12AWG with MC4 adapters to go from SCC to panels, something heavy-duty that could survive the accidental driven-over at the camp site

Last edited:
Back