diy solar

diy solar

PIP-1012LV-MK issue. Any body has one of this model?

Bud Martin

Solar Wizard
I bought this unit directly from MPP Solar Taiwan (peggy@mppsolar.com) instead of from USA rep because it is about $175 cheaper.
I am having AC output unstable (run on batterty mode) issue at low load of <300W, the output jumps up and down and I can see the desk lamp flicker too, but if I add the load to get to about 400 ~ 500W then it becomes more stable. I can also hear the fan speed up and down every minute or so which drives me crazy. I have no problem if I set it to bypass mode which pass the AC input directly to the output.
The unit is less than a week old and so far MPP Solar customer service in Taiwan is not being helpful. I replace the old PIP-1012LV-MS with the MK because it has MPPT 80A charging and 60A of utility charger total charging current of 140A. I did not expect this new model to have this problem because it is just and upgrade spec with higher MPPT/UNTILITY charger spec, the inverter is still 1000W rating.

It shouldn't do that. Does it do it if you completely disconnect the AC input and run solely on batteries?

IMHO, this is why you buy from the local guy. Across the ocean, they can speak the most amazing English when you order, but somehow, they can't understand a word of it when you're trying to get help.

Send them video. Use few words. Short words. Talk like cave man. Luck.

The AC output is not statble when it is inverter mose, bypass mode is fine.
They ask me for serial number, ask me to check the Voltages between L - Neutral, and L- G, N-G and such, but they do not seem to understand that the probelm is the inverter mode not when it is in bypass mode. I also sent them the Video showing the Volt meter is showing the Voltage going up and down and the lights are flickering.

"but somehow, they can't understand a word of it when you're trying to get help." That seems to be so true.

Have you specifically tried inverter mode with the AC input disconnected?

Have you specifically tried inverter mode with the AC input disconnected?
That is how I run the unit, no AC utility connected, the only time I have it connected to utility is to charge up the batteries at night when I do not get enough sun to keep batteries charfed during the day.

Follow-up:
They sent me email asking me to provide pictures, serial number, AC output testing , etc. so I did that plus I put videos on YouTube so they can see the problems. That was Jan 9th, so far I do not get any reply from them or from Peggy the sale person (she was really nice and answered all the questions at that time until now). I sent multiple Emails but no response. I should have bought from US rep which is about $150 more and now I regret for not doing that. So basically do not expect any support from MPP SOLAR TAIWAN.
So right now I am using the MPPT charging function (it performs better than the PIP-1012LV-MS and can provide up to 80A of charging current), and sometime I use AC for charging (up to 60A compared to 20A on the PIP-1012LV-MS) on cloudy days. I am using ReliablePower 3000W inverter instead of the built-in inverter.

My 3048 makes the lights dim when it gets a spike. And for other reasons too.
I figured it is because it is low budget and unrefined.

I doubt the US seller has a fix for that.

My Solark better work smoother

I bought the PIP-1012LV-MS and it works great without any issue at all but it can olny handle 500W of solar panel and 40A MPPT charger + 20A of AC charger, so I decided to upgrade the unit to PIP-1012LV-MK since it can hanlde 1000W of solar panel and 80A MPPT charger + 60A of AC charger which is perfect for my new 12V 280aH battery pack and the added solar panels, my old battery pack is only 12V 90Ah. Right now I'm not using the built-in inverter, I'm using the VICTRON 12V 1200VA (1000W) inverter instead and it is working great.

Please clarify a couple of things. 1) Exactly what is running off the inverter when the lights flicker. 2). When you say output unstable are you saying that the voltage being output is not stable or the apparent watts consumed (load) is jumping all over. I'm Doing because I have a particular fridge that when I run it off my mpp the watts jump all over and the lights in the fridge flicker (with the compressor running). This is an issue with the compressor in the fridge not with the MPP solar unit

Last edited:
Please clarify a couple of things. 1) Exactly what is running off the inverter when the lights flicker. 2). When you say output unstable are you saying that the voltage being output is not stable or the apparent watts consumed (load) is jumping all over
I run LED lamps, laptop, 32"TV so abour 350 Watts. The AC output will go up and down between 110 ~ 124VAC randomly whenI am on inverter mode running on battery. I can put it in bypass mode without any issue which is expected since the load willl be running on utility power. As I indicated, I have have PIP-1012LV-MS running without any issue, the inverter is very stable, some how they have change the design fo the inverter instead of keep on using the same inverter as the MS. I upgrade to MK to get higher charging current.

send it back , use your old one and just add one more charge controller seems to be the best solution to me.

I kept it and I use 3000W inverter instead since I need that to be able to start my fridge, the SCC function does work really well though. I saw a thread about Growatt having light flickering issue when using two fridges, I wonder if that is related to the same problem I have, Growatt and MPP Solar may be made by the same OEM.

Hi- have you seen others in here reporting problems with the -MK model?
I’m considering purchasing one (or the -MS model) to replace my Epever AN50 which has an issue. It is cutting out on equalize and it pisses me off; I don’t want to spend money and still have a problem.

While I don’t use 120V lighting, voltage flutter isn’t acceptable from a pure sine inverter. I’m curious if you got a bad unit, or if this is a design flaw systemic to the model.

side questions:
A) does the fan run continuously, or just under higher loads that generate heat?
B) Have you measured idle consumption?
I’ve seen a few mentions of high idle consumption. Will’s video indicates 14W idle consumption which seems low to me.
C) can you set a lower charge rate for the utility charger? (I’d prefer 30A, even 10A is fine)

thank you

Back