diy solar

diy solar

PIP 2724LV-MR & BMS Question?

AREA351

I have a question for you guys. I just got my Overkill Solar 8s 24V BMS and want to bench test my setup before install.

I had planned on putting a disconnect between the all in one unit and the BMS to be able to isolate if needed. Max draw would be about 125 amps, and I was wondering if a fuse or breaker between the battery positive and the all in one is necessary or just recommended?

Also, if for some reason the BMS cuts off the batteries to the all in one, I've heard that is really bad for a solar charge controller. Any idea how the all in one unit will handle such a situation such as low temp cutoff? The BMS will obviously disconnect but once again, any damage to the charge controller section of the all in one?

BTW: I was quite happy when I realized the specs are wrong on Watts247 web site. They claim 600 watts of solar input but according to the sticker on the unit, it is rated for 750 watts which will enable me to add an additional 250 watt solar panel

ALLINONE.jpg

I think you might want to ask MPP Solar if there would be damage to the SCC when it shuts off. Will tested this using another SCC and there was no damage. Other than that I can't help. I live in an apartment and can't have solar here. But I have been very interested in that particular MPP Solar since it's mostly plug and play.

I do know using a fuse is highly recommended and I believe the sizing is in the MPP manual. I have a 100 Amp MRBF I am using between my battery and the cheap 1000 watt inverter I am using to test the capacity of my pack. I have the same cells as you.

I am curious where you ordered your MPP from? I know it's around $450.00 on Alibaba directly from MPP. Also could you tell me the length of the cables that came with it and the AWG of the wire? And the size of the lugs...I think they are 5/16th. I would also be interested in how loud the fans are when you get it connected. Lastly I wonder if the AC is passed through or if the inverter needs to be on all the time.

Sorry for all the questions but that unit might be a good choice for me for a UPS. I like it has AVR and I also like all the settings. I would never use the full 2700 watts the inverter is capable of. The Overkill BMS isn't capable of 150 amps continuous as far as I know. Steve told me 100 amp continuous would not be a problem. That's still just shy of 2200 watts and that's still more than I need. But according to the inverter calculator I use, one would be drawing 124.2 amps from the battery if maxing out the inverter at 2700 watts.

I have a disconnect between my batteries and my dual growatts. I have flipped the off switch several times while they were on. They alarm and shut down withing about 10 sec.

Boot up sequence after an event like the above took some figuring out as its not clear in the manual.

Back