diy solar

diy solar

PIP-LV2424-MSD Charging Crown CR-220 SG

frankypc

Hi Guys,

My bank is composed of 4 6v Crown CR-220 batteries. Per the specs it says a full charge is 1.275 Specific Gravity reading. I have had two power outages that have cycled them to around 70% and when charged back by the LV2424 , they read 1.265 sg . The first time i equalized and it went back to normal.

Yesterday i had another outage and i thought i just needed to wait so i let it AC float all night and checked this morning and still 1.265. Could it be my bulk charge is too low? Im running the LV2424 very much in its default Flooded charge setting. Right now the batteries are in float but the SG reading seems low based on crown recommendation on what a 100% state of charge is.

What do you guys advise?

Not sure you could try:

With the battery type as flooded the bulk charging voltage is fixed at 28.2 volts.
Looking at the charging specifications for the CR-220 battery it seems to recommend 2.37 volts per cell or 28.44 volts.

You could change the battery type to User and then up the bulk charging voltage.

Hi Mopat,

I will def try that. It makes sense, if its not charging up to spec. I had not noticed that it required 28.44

Thank you

So i checked and in my MPP for whatever reason the bulk is set at 29.2 right now so that means, so i guess that is not it. So odd.

1603741920093.png

So i checked and in my MPP for whatever reason the bulk is set at 29.2 right now so that means, so i guess that is not it. So odd.

View attachment 25948

frankypc:

First let me point out I do NOT have your LV2424-MSD unit in front of me, so I may very well be wrong with what I am suggesting BUT:

Table 3 in the manual is an ILLUSTRATION (or suggestion); again, I do NOT believe if FLd is selected in Program 05 the battery charge voltage is 29.2 volts as shown in the table, but it is fixed at the default setting of 28.2 volts by the software.

Only if you select USE in Program 05 (Battery type) are you able to vary (adjust) the battery charge voltage (Program 26 Bulk charging voltage).

Go into the programming mode (Press & Hold the ENTER button for 3 seconds) and scroll up or down to get to Program 26.
What does it say?
28.2v or 29.2v ?

Hi Mopat,

No worries. I will perform the checkup directly in the unit and report back!

Thank you

frankypc:

First let me point out I do NOT have your LV2424-MSD unit in front of me, so I may very well be wrong with what I am suggesting BUT:

Table 3 in the manual is an ILLUSTRATION (or suggestion); again, I do NOT believe if FLd is selected in Program 05 the battery charge voltage is 29.2 volts as shown in the table, but it is fixed at the default setting of 28.2 volts by the software.

Only if you select USE in Program 05 (Battery type) are you able to vary (adjust) the battery charge voltage (Program 26 Bulk charging voltage).

Go into the programming mode (Press & Hold the ENTER button for 3 seconds) and scroll up or down to get to Program 26.
What does it say?
28.2v or 29.2v ?
Hi Mopat,

You were right....my LV2424 is in User defined and bulk charge is at 29.2 how it was there i dont know

I guess i should lower that number to the 28.4 mentioned in the battery specs correct?

I guess 28.4 or 28.5 would be correct.
I think we're done here, correct?

I guess 28.4 or 28.5 would be correct.
I think we're done here, correct?
Hi Mopat,

Now i need to "charge" the batteries again and see if that normalizes the SG to 1.275 like it was before and like crown mentions in the specs. But i dont have any further questions at this point.

Just an update, a couple of days after adjusting to the correct charge rate the SG went back to normal and has been super stable ever since.

Back