diy solar

diy solar

Piss poor battery build quality

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
So I got quite a few things from @Will Prowse when he was generous enough to help out our fine community. One of which was a battery that Will never got around to reviewing, because of reasons of his own...

I got it because I wanted the 280ah cells out of it. I have a few that aren't very healthy in my bank, and wanted to replace them. So I tore it apart to dissect it. And what I found was quite incredible...

Unfortunately I was silly enough I forgot to get a picture of the battery when it was completely assembled. It was pretty basic sheet metal box, very heavy, and was designed to be hung on the wall. And with how much it weighed, it would have needed 6" long Lag bolts into 4x4 studs to hold that thing on a wall! Not very smart imo.

So onto the pics inside:

Lid taken off. First impressions they are using an Overkill 8s BMS. with Bluetooth. Not Bad. Is that a zip tie holding the BMS down?
20230422_135515.jpg

Closer look at the Breaker. Eww.
20230422_135511.jpg

Removing the separator from the battery to expose the cells. I can see they used the Factor Bus bars on one connection to save a few pennies, as well as bare copper for the rest. Not terrible I guess, but not great. Cable management could definitely be better.
20230422_135612.jpg

The negative lead is draped over the positive terminal, and it looks like there is some burning?!?
20230422_135557.jpg

Looking at the divider, I realize the cells have nothing holding them in place except some very soft foam! These cells at one point were flipped over and crushed the negative lead, as well as arc onto the battery case!!! Big no-no here. Potential fire hazard.

20230422_140257.jpg

Same on the opposite end.
20230422_140303.jpg

Among other things, the fan is pretty useless. Extra cost for almost no gain. The main positive terminal is actually pushed inwards, maybe 1/8"-3/16" pushed in compared to the rest. Who knows if that cell is even any good anymore.

Has anybody else had an experience with a battery you purchased that was as bad or worse than this?

And you wonder why there are so many battery fires on Youtube, I just sit back and drink a V8 lol! Personally I think someone from that company should be in jail!. Or at least a bare minimum a public flogging LOL!:ROFLMAO:

I vote for the flogging :ROFLMAO:

I have a large 40a battery capacity tester coming. I will be checking capacity on the 8 cells as well. We'll see if they are even decent cells, also if the smashed in terminal is still okay.

Very good idea, let us know if the tester turns out well. Is it the one from Batteryhookup? I have been eyeing that one!.

Just to follow up with this thread, I individually tested all the cells, and they all tested at 284-289ah. I'm impressed atleast.

That was with your original tester? I just ordered one like it on eBay might have some questions on setup
Yes, I haven't been able to start poking around with yours yet.

Andy at Off-Grid-Garage did a video on the EBC-A40L that I got, and it's super easy to use with the computer, so that's what I'm doing.

Back