diy solar

diy solar

Plan for 50A 5th wheel install

So, I reconsidered some things and went back to the drawing board for the whole thing. I decided to add the Cerbo GX and use the canbus for the BMS to talk to the Victron components. I also added the trickle charge from the MP to an AGM battery for the breakaway. Below is where I am at the moment. I think I have covered everything now.

system 3.jpg

Dude! Sweet! and then . . . and then and then and then and then and then . . . no more and then! He's covered everything now.

Time for the repro :D

Looks good, the only nit I have is the yellow cable in the battery.

Have you thought about this layout?

Attachments

• battery_v2.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 20
Looks good, the only nit I have is the yellow cable in the battery.

Have you thought about this layout?
Yes, that and others. 1/4" tinned copper plate for that is gonna be hella expensive... and I was concerned that might be a problem with expansion and contraction on the studs...

Yes, that and others. 1/4" tinned copper plate for that is gonna be hella expensive... and I was concerned that might be a problem with expansion and contraction on the studs...

I'd go with 1/8th. I'm not worried about expansion and contraction if you keep cell voltage at or below 3.5V.

I'd go with 1/8th. I'm not worried about expansion and contraction if you keep cell voltage at or below 3.5V.
Still $137 for one 12" x 12" piece of plate (not tinned)! I already will have $130 in a 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 72" for the other bars.

Still $137 for one 12" x 12" piece of plate (not tinned)! I already will have $130 in a 1/4 x 1-1/2 x 72" for the other bars.

Where you buying as seems high? I can get 1 inch by 1/8th copper with silver plate for about $8 a foot. For 5 inch wide for the "spanner" it's $50 a foot; but a foot gets you all you need.

Perhaps as we both want the same bus bars we should hit up @Lt.Dan for a group buy using his fancy plasma cutter. Perhaps others?

Where you buying as seems high? I can get 1 inch by 1/8th copper with silver plate for about $8 a foot. For 5 inch wide for the "spanner" it's $50 a foot; but a foot gets you all you need.

Perhaps as we both want the same bus bars we should hit up @Lt.Dan for a group buy using his fancy plasma cutter. Perhaps others?
I was looking where many on here recommended - online metals... I would definitely be in for a set of pre-made bus bars if you know someone who can cut them. I'm looking for 600A capacity...

Things are coming along... I ordered my cables, and overlooked one. My ground to chassis. My cables from the battery bank to the inverter are all 4/0, so does that mean I need a 4/0 to chassis ground? Seems I remember seeing that it had to match the largest cable size...

If you are doing a do it yourself LiFEPO4 battery bank. you can build the 2nd battery with the first positive facing the first battery and make do with a busbar to connect or a very short cable.

Brett, not looking at your schematic, I would say that you should probably have a ground busbar that everything is tied to. That is where your current ia being drawn back to.

I can't see a reason to go 4/0 to the FR, maybe someone else thinks differently.

Back