diy solar

diy solar

Planing to use Victron lynx 1000A Shunt but can only find fuses up to 800A

A shunt is a shunt no matter how it is packaged. It’s a measuring device that is inserted inline on the negative pole only. There is no positive pole connection. A small power lead is used to power the shunt itself. In the case of the the lynx shunt the power for the shunt is taken from the positive buss fused and then to the shunt itself. so if you have doubts a simple google search is all that’s necessary. I guess Victron forgot to include the 500amp fuse in their diagram.

Attachments

• 4C26FFD3-9749-4BE1-9191-DFCCA130DEBB.jpeg
    4C26FFD3-9749-4BE1-9191-DFCCA130DEBB.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 10
It appears that you have no experience with this particular shunt. No current will flow across it until a fuse is installed.
This is simply a shunt in a form factor that will attach to the Lynx system. Current flow is not necessary across the red terminals. Voltage is necessary to power the shunt. All current flow is across the negative (black) only. It is installed on the end and not the middle so positive current can power the shunt itself but the entire 1000a bus current is not intended to flow through the Red lugs. The ENTIRE negative current must flow through the shunt (black lugs). It functions and is wired the exact same way as any other shunt.

Attachments

• F786127A-DAE6-48EA-BB57-66DE82806210.jpeg
    F786127A-DAE6-48EA-BB57-66DE82806210.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I’d return the shunt and the distributor purchase a Victron smart shunt $150 and add it to a Victron Power In or two save yourself hundreds and accomplish exactly what you want.

That is totally incorrect see my explanation above. I have one and so do hundreds of others. No, absolutely no shunt is fused for the loads or rated current flow. The only fused connection for ANY shunt is for the power lead to power the shunt itself.
The Lynx Shunt manual says the fuse is the main system fuse and gives this diagram

1674604896017.png

If you look at the pics in the manual, you can see the same:

1674604949035.png

And it says this about the fuse:

1674605115321.png

This is simply a shunt in a form factor that will attach to the Lynx system. Current flow is not necessary across the red terminals. Voltage is necessary to power the shunt. All current flow is across the negative (black) only. It is installed on the end and not the middle so positive current can power the shunt itself but the entire 1000a bus current is not intended to flow through the Red lugs. The ENTIRE negative current must flow through the shunt (black lugs). It functions and is wired the exact same way as any other shunt.
Not using the positive side of the Lynx Shunt kinda defeats the purpose of the whole integrated lynx system.

Last edited:

By all means, please continue to demonstrate that you have no experience with this product. I won't get in your way again. I'm just here to help the OP.

A system with one of these will not work unless a fuse is installed.

Here's the pertinent page from your link.

1674604781524.png

Not using the positive side of the Lynx Shunt kinda defeats the purpose of the whole integrated lynx system.
I didn’t say you didn’t use the positive it is used as a power source for the shunt itself. For instance in my installation this shunt would add on to the end of my Power Ins approximately where I installed a regular Victron Shunt. My negatives from the shunt would attach on the black lug. The positives from my inverter would attach to the positive buss of the Power In just like I have them wired. This shunt is no different than my Victron shunt and is wired the exact same way. Notice no positive is attached to the shunt. No big fuses and I went with the 500a shunt because my max inverted load or charge is 285 amps. You do as you wish but you will be unable to find fuses larger than 500 or do amps so that is your rate limiting factor. Mine would be my 500a shunt but they also sell it in 1000a shunt no fuses required.

Attachments

• 7805C06C-81D6-413F-AC66-7220204DAFDD.jpeg
    7805C06C-81D6-413F-AC66-7220204DAFDD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 1B18FB7D-3DAA-486E-B20F-AEC1523E9F5E.jpeg
    1B18FB7D-3DAA-486E-B20F-AEC1523E9F5E.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 16
By all means, please continue to demonstrate that you have no experience with this product. I won't get in your way again. I'm just here to help the OP.

A system with one of these will not work unless a fuse is installed.

Here's the pertinent page from your link.

View attachment 131351
And your experience is? At least I own and use the product. Any suggestions on OPs question of how he retains 1000amps current flow through his buss? Crickets.

Per my instructions he retains his 1000 amps current and if he takes my other suggestion he could save himself $3-500.00 as a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
And your experience is? At least I own and use the product. Any suggestions on OPs question of how he retains 1000amps current flow through his buss? Crickets.

Per my instructions he retains his 1000 amps current and if he takes my other suggestion he could save himself $3-500.00 as a bonus.
Oh my gosh. What's next with you? This doubling down thing you're doing is terribly unproductive and no one is even mentioning Sol-Ark. May I suggest that you look into some healthier hobbies? Perhaps lay off the drink just a bit? Buuurrp...

It's perfectly clear that your sole reason for being here is to pick fights with people. You'll have to work that out with your new therapist as I'm sure the last three or ten have made it pretty clear they can't help you.

None of your pictures show a Lynx Shunt, so again it's pretty clear you don't have experience with one.

To answer your question, I've installed a few dozen of the Lynx product family plus hundreds of other shunts but of course you're not here to learn, you're here to take embarrassingly shameful shots at ridiculing people who don't love Sol-Ark. Did I miss something?

Yes you forgot to blame Victron for a faulty product just the usual

So answer the original question and quit whining. How can you run a full 1000 amps through the Lynx Shunt?

Can’t answer figures. I clearly stated my components. I answered the Ops question and then you chimed in 10 posts no answer. At least I made some recommendations that will work. Must be tiring hijacking post to grind your ax.

Can’t answer figures. I clearly stated my components. I answered the Ops question and then you chimed in 10 posts no answer. At least I made some recommendations that will work. Must be tiring hijacking post to grind your ax.
What? Buurp...

Back