diy solar

diy solar

Planning a RV system for 27 foot Argosy

jam74kg

I am looking at an all new system for a restoration of an argosy 27 foot trailer. I like the Zamp Obsidian 14 by 90inch panels which would fit nicely on the roof of the RV and talking to the rep he recommended a 12 Volt system The panels have a max of 360 watt 12 volt power and I was thinking 280 ah of lifepo4 battery storage. I have found a 120 volt LG fridge that is 6.9 cu inch but has a energy rating of 220kw per year which i calculate to be 25 kw per hour or .21 amps at 120 or 2.36 amps at 12 volts. The Zamp rep recommended a 12 volt fridge which i found one that is rated at 6 amps at startup and 1 amp when running. Also looking at the MPP all in one system and plan on having a 3000/4500 peak generator to run the ac and as a backup or plug in at a campground. I will have a TV which may be a 12 volt and lights possibly a computer and phone charges. Heat and hot water cook stove will be propane. So is there a reason to go 24 Volt system? Does my plan look feasible? and do i need other items with the MPP all in one system? I appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Best place for you to start would be an energy audit. Use the link in my signature. You have your fridge specs. Now you need to complete the list with specs of everything you intend to run. Then size your system based on your power needs. (power cost times amount of time you wish to run the item per day) per item = total daily comsumption. Then multiply that by the number of days you’d like to be able to run on battery power. This will tell you the size of battery bank you need, and the size inverter you’ll need. From there you can derive other information: whether you’ll be fine on a 12v system or will need to consider 24v or higher, the amount of solar you’ll need to keep your batteries charged in good sun, and many of the other components of your system.

Best place for you to start would be an energy audit. Use the link in my signature. You have your fridge specs. Now you need to complete the list with specs of everything you intend to run. Then size your system based on your power needs. (power cost times amount of time you wish to run the item per day) per item = total daily comsumption. Then multiply that by the number of days you’d like to be able to run on battery power. This will tell you the size of battery bank you need, and the size inverter you’ll need. From there you can derive other information: whether you’ll be fine on a 12v system or will need to consider 24v or higher, the amount of solar you’ll need to keep your batteries charged in good sun, and many of the other components of your system.
Thanks Will use the link

Looking at the audit example you sent won't i need to determine Volts of the applance also to determine the total load it will put on the system

A fridge and TV perhaps a small fan or two should be easy as you described. I'm doing similar setup on my sailboat.

The LG APARTMENT fridge has a really low usage 220 kwyr rating and has a semi auto defrost you can control which means you could run the defrost when you have alternate power. Are you running 12 or 24 volt

Back