diy solar

diy solar

Planning to reduce electric bill by solar push, no feed back to grid. Daylight hours only.

LifPo is the latest thing, expensive. AGM less expensive..compare cost & usage. I'm just not sold on it yet...
By the way...I have 3 solar forums on my computer the last year, there is so much to learn. Just click on the battery forums. Read up on the different experiences with folks posting.
IMO...LifPo has had some issues...need Battery Management System (BMS)

yes, im learning, but i had a SLA from amazon that i took care of for my mining stuff, and now it wont hold a charge, i only used it about 6 times, but it is about 5-6 years old, i thought it was agm when i bought it, but guess not, trying to revive it now, just thought lipo would be better as they say they are,

yes, im learning, but i had a SLA from amazon that i took care of for my mining stuff, and now it wont hold a charge, i only used it about 6 times, but it is about 5-6 years old, i thought it was agm when i bought it, but guess not, trying to revive it now, just thought lipo would be better as they say they are,
My grandson bought a 2008 Ford E250 cargo van to go see the country. I am doing the Solar for him. Staying with 12 volt system so he has option to charge both battery systems (solar & van)..We are putting 2 panels on roof. He is going with Renogy AGM...
YOU REALLY NEED MORE TIME FOR RESEARCH...BUT SUMMER IS COMING..

All batteries need to be carefully stored at recommended charge levels or they degrade.

If you only charge an SLA or AGM battery once a year, it won’t last long at all.

We’re you keeping your SLA/AGM battery on a battery-keeper in between discharge/charge cycles?

LiFePO4 will outlive SLA/AGM by a long way if properly cared for, but they are much more expensive and even more finicky in terms of care and feeding...

no, just had it charged and put in shed, thought it would be ok, it was for my solar system to run a bilge pump, but on reading on lipo4 it says they can be discharged to 80% and then stored indefinatly with out hurting them

My grandson bought a 2008 Ford E250 cargo van to go see the country. I am doing the Solar for him. Staying with 12 volt system so he has option to charge both battery systems (solar & van)..We are putting 2 panels on roof. He is going with Renogy AGM...
YOU REALLY NEED MORE TIME FOR RESEARCH...BUT SUMMER IS COMING..
good for him, i need more time but i need the cooler to run off of the panels all day or it wont work, might not work right because of how i have to lay them out, i cant run off of batteries when the suns out or i will have nothing gor evening until 10 at night

good for him, i need more time but i need the cooler to run off of the panels all day or it wont work, might not work right because of how i have to lay them out, i cant run off of batteries when the suns out or i will have nothing gor evening until 10 at night
Won't an inverter/charger work? Powers A/C swamp cooler (12volts) during sunlight hours and also keeps batteries charged. Then in the evening run off batteries for a while. Rinse and repeat the next day.......My brother use to live in Chandler....Hot til Midnite most of the time

thats what im trying to do, but the people that answered me said it wouldn't be cost effective because of the daylight hours and what the utility charges would be lower anyway. also, i am trying to put on my shed roof, wjhich is flat, cant tilt or angle, they could face due south, and maybe be raised 2 inches on the north side to gain a little tilt, but the most i could do would be 3x230 watt, problem is much sun can i get, if i could run the cooler from say 8 to 6, but i doubt it, after 6 sun would be to low in the sky i think, unless i try with a single panel or maybe 2 little ones for camping and make a suitcase i could sell after i get done checking to aee hoow much sun i can actually get in a day

no, just had it charged and put in shed, thought it would be ok, it was for my solar system to run a bilge pump, but on reading [b{on lipo4 it says they can be discharged to 80% and then stored indefinatly with out hurting them[/b]

Incorrect - LiFePO4 can lose as much as 3% per month through self-discharge.

That’s much lower than the self-discharge rate of lead acid batteries, but still.

Charged to the recommended storage level of 30%, you need to top off twice a year and even if you charge up to higher-than-recommended 80% SOC, you cannot leave a LiFePO4 battery in storage for 3 years or more without causing damage...

im still reading an studying about lifepo, if i had them for my cooler they would get used every night, but i was thinking for my prospecting stuff, ect also, i thought i read 80% for lifepo to store, but i thought i read if it goes down it wont hurt it, you just charge back up
not like lead acid batts, just about anything can hurt them

im still reading an studying about lifepo, if i had them for my cooler they would get used every night, but i was thinking for my prospecting stuff, ect also, i thought i read 80% for lifepo to store, but i thought i read if it goes down it wont hurt it, you just charge back up
not like lead acid batts, just about anything can hurt them

Yes, self-discharge won’t hurt as long as you top off to 30% SOC (or whatever) before it gets too low.

LiFePO4 will get more damaged more quickly than Lead Acid if either charged too high or discharged to low.

But they are the bomb if you need to charge and discharge once every 24 hours...

My last comment because this thread is gone on too long....READ the "ENERGY SECTION" and read the various topics.....THEN GOOGLE "LIFEPO PROBLEMS, THEN AGM PROBLEMS" .....knowledge is power...Hope you make the best choice for your needs. Keep it safe, keep reliable and keep it cost effective....

Back