diy solar

diy solar

Please check, because the wiring is dark and full of terrors

sremick

Mostly competent. Knows enough to be dangerous
So this is my third iteration of a portable solar kit (camping, etc). V1 was really slick but way too small. V2 has been serving me well for many years but is ugly and disorganized, without a proper container and a mess of wires. V2 I want to size up further, switch to LiFePO4 and clean up the wiring, making it something I can be proud to show off.

Module is an SBMS40 (forgot to label that). I have Dacian checking things over too but other than the LEDs and fan it should match a rougher sketch that he already approved.

Weird LED thing is for external lights on the case since you won't be able to see the SBMS when the lid is closed. Green means 100% charged. Red means too low batter resulting in load shut-off.

Besides the sanity check, I am wondering if I should (and how I would) incorporate ground-fault protection in this. It will be mobile but the box will be metal. That is new territory for me so I'm not clear on the ins and outs of that yet.

I thought about tapping into the ext temp wire on the SBMS and put another thermistor on the batteries but I don't believe that the unit can/will do anything based upon that reading, and it's informational only.

I will probably also bump up the breaker on the panels so I can connect a larger array if I wish. Just realized it's still sized specifically for the 120W panels but I switched from SAE plugs to Anderson to handle a larger wattage array.

Attachments

• Solar Kit III.png
    Solar Kit III.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 56
That is a great diagram and well thought out. I have been intrigued by those circuit breakers but have heard some reports of them not being reliable. That may be for higher voltages (I am going to be 58 volts) and your experience on earlier projects may be more relevant for this one.

I have been intrigued by those circuit breakers but have heard some reports of them not being reliable. That may be for higher voltages (I am going to be 58 volts) and your experience on earlier projects may be more relevant for this one.
Treat the images as placeholders. :) The models I'm leaning towards now are different as after measuring, the ones shown above were ginormous and wouldn't fit in my box without significantly sizing it up. Rated values will remain the same (except the panels, I'm upping that to allow for larger panels in the future)

Back