diy solar

diy solar

Please check my diagram - 4S 12V + MPP All In One in a rolling toolbox

MikeL219

Whipped up the diagram in Google Sheets. I'm just looking for any critiques or callouts in my modest 12V build. I built Will's milk crate build previously and wanted to make something a bit 'nicer'. I'm eager to read any feedback.

Highlights are:
  • 280Ah cells
  • Overkill 120A BMS
  • MPP Solar 1012LV-MS inverter (1000W)
  • 4 AWG wire between the battery-BMS-shunt/breaker and the inverter
    • I used 2 AWG in a previous build with the same MPP inverter but 4 is supposed to be good to 100A, I believe? Please correct me if I'm wrong
  • 30A Powerpoles (12 AWG)

One thing I think I might be missing is an inline fuse on the solar input going into the inverter.

Other than that, I'm feeling pretty confident about this build!

Attachments

• 280Ah Portable Solar Generator Wiring Diagram.jpg
    280Ah Portable Solar Generator Wiring Diagram.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Wire gauge vs. Ampacity is somewhat dependent on the type of copper strands and the insulation heat resistance. For best results to handle 100A, I would up size the wire to #3 or preferably use Class K or M welding cable. Its more flexible and easier to work with due to the fine strands. Keep in mind Welding and DLO type cables of a given gauge often require a special compression lug with a slightly larger ID barrel due to the finer stranded wire expanding more when stripped back therefore is difficult to insert into a standard compression lug without some of the strands peeling back and sticking out.

Wire gauge vs. Ampacity is somewhat dependent on the type of copper strands and the insulation heat resistance. For best results to handle 100A, I would up size the wire to #3 or preferably use Class K or M welding cable. Its more flexible and easier to work with due to the fine strands. Keep in mind Welding and DLO type cables of a given gauge often require a special compression lug with a slightly larger ID barrel due to the finer stranded wire expanding more when stripped back therefore is difficult to insert into a standard compression lug without some of the strands peeling back and sticking out.
I should have mentioned this. I used the cable in this Windy Nation kit. I'm not sure if it's welding cable but I think it is. Thanks for the info. I will consider upsizing.

Back