diy solar

diy solar

Please check my paper setup! 48v, dual 10,000 quattro's

scrubolio

Thanks everyone in advance for your comments and help. I've learned a lot by reading the forum.

I'm trying to go off grid with generator backup, and have grid access for a secondary backup.

I would like to reserve space for future battery banks.

So far this is my battery to solar charge controller plan, please help me look this over and see if everything makes sense. I hope this is clear and not confusing, I tried to incorporate everything from torque specs to bolt size to make sure I have everything ready.

Some questions that I have are:
  1. I see that t-class fuses are recommended for lithium batteries, should I put a t-class fuse immediately after the positive lug on each EG4 battery? or would one bigger t-class fuse for the entire 6 EG4 battery bank suffice? Is 300 amps per battery pack way too high? what amps size should I have if I were to put 1 t-class fuse per 6 EG4 battery bank?
  2. The Lynx shunt has a built in CNN fuse slot, but this seems to be redundant if putting a t-class fuse after each battery or battery bank. Is this thought correct? if so I will just connect it with a copper bar.
  3. I have purchased the Lynx power in to reserve space for future battery banks, when I do purchase another battery bank, does it have to be the same amp rating as the first bank of 6 EG4 batteries? or can it be say 4x 48v 100amp, 7x 48v 100amp, 3x 48v 200amp, etc?
  4. When connecting the cables to the Lynx distributor is it advisable to:
    1. have each inverter staggered so that the distance to each inverter is the same? as in:
      1. Positive 1: Inverter 1
      2. Positive 2: Inverter 2
      3. Negative 1: Inverter 2
      4. Negative 2: Inverter 1
    2. Connect the solar charge controller in position 1 (closest to the shunt)? or inbetween the 2 inverters? or at the end furtherest from the shunt?
via what cable and bolt
to what device/bus bar/fuse/etc
bolt coming off from device/busbar
n/aEG4 Lifepower Batteries (have 6 in parallel)M6 bolt (6nm)
via 4/0g (<12in) to M6 bolt (6nm) onFuse block w/ 150 amp t-class fuseM8 bolt (8nm)
via 4/0g (<=6ft) cable to ? bolt (??nm) onServer rack bus barM6/M8 bolt (??nm)
via 4/0g (<6in) cable or copper bus bar toBattery bank cut off (in case of future additional banks)m6/m8 bolt (??nm)
via 4/0g (~2ft) cable or copper bus bar to M8 nut (14nm) onLynx power inM8 nut (14nm)
via 4/0g (<6in) cable or copper bus bar toMain battery cut offm6/m8 bolt (??nm)
via 4/0g (<6in) cable or copper bus bar toLynx shunt w/ 800 amp CNN fuse M8 nut (14nm)M8 nut (14nm)
via built in bus bar to (no bolt)Lynx distributorn/a
Lynx Distributor Position 1
via built in bus bar to250 or 300 amp MEGA fuse (14nm)M8 nut (14nm)
via 4/0g (~3ft) cable to M8 bolt (14nm) onVictron quattro 48v/10,000va inverterM6 bolts (7nm)
(AC OUT) via 2g or 4g cable to100amp breaker on load Center
Lynx Distributor Position 2 (reapeated for 2nd inverter)
via 4/0g (~3ft) cable to M8 bolt (14nm) onVictron quattro 48v/10,000va inverterM6 bolts (7nm)
(AC OUT) via 2g or 4g cable to100amp breaker on load Center
Lynx Distributor Position 3
via 4/0g (~3ft) cable to M8 bolt (14nm) onVictron Smartsolar MPPT RS 450/200need ferrules?
via 10g cable toPV isolater breakersto panels

spec sheets:
EG4 Lifepower4 Spec sheet: https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/EG4/1511006-specs.pdf
EG4 Lifepower4 Manual: https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/EG4/EG4 Lifepower4 -manual 1.0.1.pdf

Victron Quattro 48/10,000 Spec sheet: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Quattro-3-10kVA-120V-EN-.pdf
Victron Quattro 48/10,000 Manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...ttro-5k-10k-120V-(firmware-xxxx4xx)-EN-ES.pdf

Victron Power In Spec sheet: n/a
Victron Power In Manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Lynx_Power_In/Lynx_Power_In-en.pdf

Victron Lynx Shunt Spec sheet: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Lynx-Shunt-VE.Can-EN.pdf
Victron Power In Manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Lynx_Shunt_VE.Can/Lynx_Shunt_VE_Can_Manual-en.pdf

Victron Distributor Spec sheet: n/a
Victron Distributor Manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Lynx_Distributor/Lynx_Distributor-en.pdf

Victron Smartsolar MPPT RS 450/200 Spec sheet: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-MPPT-RS-EN-.pdf
Victron Smartsolar MPPT RS 450/200 Manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/SmartSolar_MPPT_RS/SmartSolar_MPPT_RS-en.pdf

Last edited:
You have some good questions… I would ask them to your Victron dealer.

These are my guesses
1. I would put a class T after each battery, rated just for that battery. The EG4 says it has a 125 breaker. I would put in a 150a fuse.

2. Lynx shunt fuse. This should be sized for the wire after it or the entire system. It probably doesn’t matter, because everything after it (the distributor) has fuses on it).

3. I think as long as you are adding more EG4’s it won’t matter how many more.

4a. Keep it simple and SERVICEABLE. So I would keep the positive’s and negative’s together (not cross them).

4b. I remember someone saying to put the solar in position 4. That way during heavy use you have the power spread out on the bus bar (keeps it slightly cooler).

I am no expert. Good Luck!

Sounds like you will have a great system!

You have some good questions… I would ask them to your Victron dealer.

These are my guesses
1. I would put a class T after each battery, rated just for that battery. The EG4 says it has a 125 breaker. I would put in a 150a fuse.

2. Lynx shunt fuse. This should be sized for the wire after it or the entire system. It probably doesn’t matter, because everything after it (the distributor) has fuses on it).

3. I think as long as you are adding more EG4’s it won’t matter how many more.

4a. Keep it simple and SERVICEABLE. So I would keep the positive’s and negative’s together (not cross them).

4b. I remember someone saying to put the solar in position 4. That way during heavy use you have the power spread out on the bus bar (keeps it slightly cooler).

I am no expert. Good Luck!

Sounds like you will have a great system!
thanks for the responses.

1. I'm looking into the MRBF fuses just because they seem much simpler to mount (straight to the terminal post) and cheaper than t-class fuses. Yes, you're right on the 150a fuse.

2. ya, if everything before and after the shunt is fused, it seems redundant.

3. I'm kind of sad about my purchase on the EG4s at this point, without closed loop communication with Victron, to me it almost seems like I wasted my money and should go with an SOK or other battery that can properly communicate with the BMS. But my main question was if I add a new set of batteries in the future, they need to match in volts obviously, but could I just add another 1x 48v 100ah battery to the 2nd slot on the Power In?

4a. ya your probably right, keep it simple.

4b. hmm ok thanks.

1. I'm looking into the MRBF fuses just because they seem much simpler to mount (straight to the terminal post) and cheaper than t-class fuses. Yes, you're right on the 150a fuse.

2. ya, if everything before and after the shunt is fused, it seems redundant.

3. I'm kind of sad about my purchase on the EG4s at this point, without closed loop communication with Victron, to me it almost seems like I wasted my money and should go with an SOK or other battery that can properly communicate with the BMS. But my main question was if I add a new set of batteries in the future, they need to match in volts obviously, but could I just add another 1x 48v 100ah battery to the 2nd slot on the Power In?

4a. ya your probably right, keep it simple.

4b. hmm ok thanks.
Closed loop is coming via a control panel for the bank

That's the problem, people doesn't read documentation and complains on YT ;-)

My best advice was and still is, never buy battery without polytech compatibility option if you need communication with inverter. Gx support pylon and victron/sma on canbus. I hope SG has pylon emulation for theirs battery;-).?

You didn't mentioned, but one thing missing is monitoring. You should not underestimate how important is to collect data about the health of the system, like battery state of charge, solar production, power usable, fault alerts and do forth. The victron monitoring is really good but natively it will not talk to the EG4 battery. I've been working on that integration (eg4 to victron) and it is in testing right now

Yes the integration is key, which is why I'm either going to sell the EG4s or wait until they come out with their closed loop setup with Victron

That's the problem, people doesn't read documentation and complains on YT ;-)

My best advice was and still is, never buy battery without polytech compatibility option if you need communication with inverter. Gx support pylon and victron/sma on canbus. I hope SG has pylon emulation for theirs battery;-).?
I'm guilty of that, but try my best to read the spec sheets. however, sometimes I'm sloppy :(

sorry what's Gx and SG? GX as in Cerbo GX?

Thanks

I'm guilty of that, but try my best to read the spec sheets. however, sometimes I'm sloppy :(

sorry what's Gx and SG? GX as in Cerbo GX?

Thanks
SG = solarsignature ;-)

cerbox GX = victron conroller base on baggleboard raspberry computer

@Louisvdw just released version 0.13 of his add-on to Victron that now supports EG4 batteries. Attached are some screenshots. While not official it is working well.

Attachments

• vicpi2.png
    vicpi2.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 18
  • vicpi.png
    vicpi.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 18
  • v4.png
    v4.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 17
  • vicpi3.png
    vicpi3.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 17
Regarding your question 4, keeping the cables the same lengths, I was also thinking the same regarding my battery connections on the lynx distributor. I have 2 batteries to connect so I was thinking that the following connection method would keep my cables runs the same length (assuming I cut all cables to same length)

Positive 1 = Battery 1
Negative 1 = Battery 2
Positive 4 = Battery 1
Negative 4 = Battery 2

Or I could keep 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, 4=4 etc. on the distributor and compensate by make cables to position 1 about 10cm longer than cables to position 4. Cables to position 2 about 7.5cm longer than those to position 4, and cables to position 3 about 2.5cm longer than those to position 4.

Having potentially 20cm (8inch) greater round trip between 2 batteries connected to the same inverter seems to quite a lot, would this result in uneven loads on the batteries. I've not seen anything in the Victron manual regarding compensating cable lengths to compensate for the staggered positions of the terminal on the Lynx.

I'm on a learning curve so the above. is more of a question and not advice. I'd like to hear more experienced opinions please.

Last edited:
Back