diy solar

diy solar

Please critique battery box for 272 cells

blutow

Solar Enthusiast
I've got 16 272 lishens on order and figured I'd start fabricating the boxes. They are going in a van, so I'm very concerned about properly securing everything.

I started with a wooden mock up of a 4 cell pack and used 3/4 angle and HDPE plastic sheet for the structure. I welded on nuts across top and on the end for hold downs and compression using bolts. Once I have my cells, I'll need to properly size those hold down and compression bolts (and I'll use another nut to lock them in place). I'm planning to use a thin layer of cutting board material between each cell.

I think the design is going to work, but I'm wary building the other 3 before my cells arrive and I can test with actual cells. I screwed up my first attempt a bit by not making it tall enough (not considering the stud lengths) and was concerned about contacting the metal frame when sliding the cells in. I added an extra bit of clearance which also gave me room to add a positive terminal fuse on each battery. I might also add a section of 1/8 steel strap across the end and on the compression plate just to make sure the HDPE has some extra support.

Any feedback is welcome. I probably have another few weeks before my cells arrive and I'd like to build the boxes, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something. IMG_0394.jpgIMG_0395.jpgIMG_0396.jpgIMG_0397.jpgIMG_0398.jpgconcerned I'm overlooking something.

Last edited:
You made a very good point. I would not count on clearance to avoid shorting when you install/remove though. Maybe glue some plastic insulator, like HDPE, on the underside of the angle? Or just paint on some of the rubber coating material?

You made a very good point. I would not count on clearance to avoid shorting when you install/remove though. Maybe glue some plastic insulator, like HDPE, on the underside of the angle? Or just paint on some of the rubber coating material?
I'm planning on covering any metal surfaces that could possibly be an issue when I put in the cells. I haven't figure out how yet, but it might involve duct tape if I can't find anything more elegant.

I'm planning on covering any metal surfaces that could possibly be an issue when I put in the cells. I haven't figure out how yet, but it might involve duct tape if I can't find anything more elegant.
teflon tape might be useful for covering metal parts

Back