diy solar

diy solar

Please help, I am getting information on my upcoming setup

justinbeaird

Please help, I am getting conflicting information on a planed RV setup.
I have 8 HQST 100W 12V panels, I was going to wire them in a 24v array (every 2 wired together), but I am being told this won't work with my Renogy Rover 40a MPPT controller because "the HQST 12v panels put out 21vdc and can go as high as 26vdc, two of them in series would be 42vdc-52vdc.. and the controller can only handle 12v/24v.."
can you please help me I thought I had a good grasp on this until I was told that..

Page 23
Max Solar input Voltage is 100VDC. Voc of panel can go higher in colder weather, so you can add 15 ~ 20% on top of the Voc rating of the panel so do not exceed max input Voltage of the SCC.
The 12V/24V has to do with your battery Voltage that you want to use.
So It will work, I have 2 other quick questions, what awg wire would you recommend for input of 800w@24v?? And would it be possible for me to add 2 more pannels or would the amps fry my charge controller??

So It will work, I have 2 other quick questions, what awg wire would you recommend for input of 800w@24v?? And would it be possible for me to add 2 more pannels or would the amps fry my charge controller??
Are you talking about 800W of panels?
You said you have 8 100-Watt panel, and you are going to do 2 panels in series for each string of panel, so you will end up with 4 strings of panels connected in parallel, 2S4P configuration. Since the panel current rating is about 5A, that means each string will produce 5A of current, so the total current of 4 string in parallel will be about 20A so you should use 10 gauge wire.
Since you have 4-parallel setup, you should put fuse on each string, the panel should have fuse rating printed on the sticker, you can use MC4 fuse holder, or you can use combiner box that house all the fuses inside.
Page 22 of the manual talks about wire size.
Page 23 tells you what the max panel power is.
You need to read the manual.

Are you talking about 800W of panels?
You said you have 8 100-Watt panel, and you are going to do 2 panels in series for each string of panel, so you will end up with 4 strings of panels connected in parallel, 2S4P configuration. Since the panel current rating is about 5A, that means each string will produce 5A of current, so the total current of 4 string in parallel will be about 20A so you should use 10 gauge wire.
Since you have 4-parallel setup, you should put fuse on each string, the panel should have fuse rating printed on the sticker, you can use MC4 fuse holder, or you can use combiner box that house all the fuses inside.
Page 22 of the manual talks about wire size.
Page 23 tells you what the max panel power is.
You need to read the manual.
I thought it would be 800w/24v =33amp.
I have (8)100w panelles, I am daisy chaining every 2 12v panels making them 24v, than every 2 pair is going into a wire to charger. Sorry I am not very good at asking what I am trying to accomplish..

I thought it would be 800w/24v =33amp.
I have (8)100w panelles, I am daisy chaining every 2 12v panels making them 24v, than every 2 pair is going into a wire to charger. Sorry I am not very good at asking what I am trying to accomplish..
33A is the battery charging current from SCC which converts (Buck converter) high panel Voltage and low current to low Voltage and higher current to charge the battery..
How does MPPT work?

Back