diy solar

diy solar

Please help me, I'm so dumb

deathbypizzas

ok everyone, I'm about to build my first solar setup and i just want to make sure everything I'm doing is safe so I don't burn to death.
I'm over trying to absorb info from blogs and youtube videos, I really really tried and I THINK I got it but I want to make sure. I just want an adult person to tell me if its good or if i need to do some readjusting.
SOOOOOO...
this is going in a 2001 Chevy express for the purposes of weekend camping, maybe some longer trips but not full time living.
thus far Ive purchased a Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit with 40A Rover MPPT Charge Controller
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVHDW7Q/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_51V0RA7D94Z2RAHMVJR9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I intend on hooking up a 12v RV refrigerator, a 12v fan, 8 12v puck lights, charge my phone, and plug in a hot plate type thing and/or 12v rice cooker.
should I buy this package for it? Renogy 2000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Battery Converter Solar Power Inverter & Deep Cycle Agm Battery 12 Volt 200AH
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FTTZTFB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_FVHTNQSAFV098E09DV6J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This things are compatible yes? or am I gonna die?

This is never going to work with a single 100W panel. I'd suggest throwing it away, but maybe instead give it to a child to play with for a science project.

Instead of just buying stuff, you should have started with an energy audit. First determine how many watts you are likely to consume in a day, and then determine how many watts of panels you'll need to replenish it. I can tell you it will be more than 100W.

Don't spend any more money until you have a plan. Keep in mind that if you lay the panels flat on the roof of the van, their output will only be a fraction of what they would make if pointed directly perpendicular to the sun.

The refrigerator will consume a fair amount of power, and the hot plate even more.

so first...this is a hobby board and we do not use the term "safe", ever...safe means expensive or no fun!!! :)

it looks like you want to go down the prepackaged route which is much less likely to involve anybody dying.
So the tricky part of figuring out what your list of "power eaters" will really want to snack on.

12v fan (10w), 12v leds (maybe 10watts all together), charge your phone(10watts) are all just little power sippers...
and then BOOM.. hot plate/rice cooker will really drain your battery maybe a 100w if its tiny DC powered one, or 10x that if its a normal one.
The 12v fridge (if its a small compressor based model) will probably be 60-100watts...with 2x that for surge???

lets ignore the surge and the possible AC rice cooker...maybe 230w load; 230w/12v = 20amps
deep cycle battery is good for 50% of its capacity so you have about 100Ah of useable there...5hours of running things (100/20).

if all your devices are DC, why buy pure sinewave invert.. no 120vac items unless thats the hotplate...

it will take some time for a 100W renogy to recharge that battery.

I would stay away from using a electric hot plate. Basically, do not use any heating elements unless you have allot of batteries. I small DC "cooler" fridge is dooable, and lights wont consume much. I use the same with a 500Ah lithium, 100 watt panel and 300 w inverter. Basically count on only using DC power as Ac will draw more and such a small system wont recharge itself fast enough more then likely. So think DC, Edison, not AC Tesla. No heating elements.

Back