diy solar

diy solar

Please help me to not make bad choices.

Cabinfever

Until recently I was considering an AIO 24 volt unit to couple with my new 425 W Qcell panel (not installed yet) and to purchase four 6 volt FLA batteries(cold climate cabin). Primarily due to its compact size, cost of course but most importantly, the ease in which it could be connected to my Honda EU 2200 generator with the ability to have to do nothing but start the generator and the ATS do its thing without having to unplug one item and plug in another or have a manual transfer switch etc. Through my research I have decided that I cannot live with the loud fans, stand by power consumption and crappy support to name a few.

Through further research I now realize I can get an inverter charger with ATS included. Would a unit like similar to the Renogy 12v 2000 W Invertor Charger with ATS coupled with a separate MPPT SCC allow me to accomplish my goals. I have done much research here and elsewhere but have only seen the results I am looking for with an AIO unit.

Which are:
1. Connect my Honda EU 2200 invertor generator to the 12v 2000 W Inverter Charger ATS unit for the purpose of charging the batteries as well as the ability to have to not have to switch or do anything but go out and start my generator and it auto transfer to generator power while charging my batteries.

2. When I shut off generator, it switches back to battery/solar automatically.

3. I need the Inverter Charger ATS unit to have the ability where by even if the batteries are full, that while the generator is running it continues to be the primary source of power while I am using high draw items like a microwave, chop saw etc. as I will not have the battery power to run such items for any length of time. i.e. even if my batteries are full, I would use the generator to power large loads through my cabin AC outlets which would be fed by the Invertor Charger unit.

If this is a possibility then I can stay within my budget of around $1000 for the AIO since the Inverter Charger ATS can be had here in Canada for $600 and a decent MPPT I assume for $300-$400.

I am purchasing a 6 cubic foot Unique 12v fridge/freezer unit to run directly off battery bank, I have a cell booster and will be running a few 10w lights, charging cell phones during day etc. at our off grid cabin for 3 days at a time. That's about it. The initial AIO with four golf cart batteries and 425w panel would have satisfied my power needs and of course I have no problem with running the generator if necessary for either charging the batteries or powering infrequent larger loads. I have read the specs on many units but they really don't spell it out for newbies as to whether the units will do what I need them too.

Final question for this post, what FLA battery set up would you recommend to give me the most amp hours possible ie. wired 6 volts wired SP or two 12 volt etc. I have the funds and am ready to purchase, your advice, constructive criticisms or equipment suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank - You

Do you want to keep the setup portable?

Hybrid inverters would also work and do what you are describing.

N it does not need to be portable. I believe a hybrid invertor is an AIO (all in one)

then I can stay within my budget of around $1000 for the AIO since the Inverter Charger ATS can be had here in Canada for $600 and a decent MPPT I assume for $300-$400
Without brand/specs that’s either a real good deal or a terrible idea.

They share similar functions but I don't think they are the same.

Searching AIO it is a portable unit with a battery and panels and outlet.

Hybrid inverter is a box that you attach panels, add a battery, connect to house wiring....

Makes it confusing of what your are wanting.

FWIW,
I love my little EU2000i generator but you do NOT want to charge batteries via the DC plugs. The power is dirty, and no regulated, so it's easy to cook a battery if you aren't watching it all the time.

Sorry for the confusion all, I guess that's why it's beginners corner. By AIO unit I am referring to Growatt, MPP, SRNE which when you look at them says all in one or Hybrid which are too loud and too much draw etc. for me. The other option I was referring too which I was wondering if it would accomplish the same as a hybrid inverter is a inverter charger with included auto transfer switch. Of course I would need an MPPT SCC.

FWIW,
I love my little EU2000i generator but you do NOT want to charge batteries via the DC plugs. The power is dirty, and no regulated, so it's easy to cook a battery if you aren't watching it all the time.
Thanks for the reply, I was referring to the generator being connected to the invertor charger unit which does the charging of the batteries.

The ‘solar generator’ marketers have convoluted some definitions.
I agree and what I am trying to ask in short is will an inverter charger with built in auto transfer switch allow me to do the same things as I was trying to accomplish with a hybrid unit like a Growatt. To me it seems so, only I would require a SCC to go with it obviously.

For a cabin, I'd say to forget 12V completely, and just go with a 24V from the ground up. I have Schneider's Conext 4024, which seems dead quite to me and has started every single power tool in my workshop. It also has seamless generator input, with a 240VAC generator wired into the ACin terminals.
It's a bit more expensive than what you've already been looking at, but you'll remember the quality long after the price is forgotten.

Without brand/specs that’s either a real good deal or a terrible idea.

For a cabin, I'd say to forget 12V completely, and just go with a 24V from the ground up. I have Schneider's Conext 4024, which seems dead quite to me and has started every single power tool in my workshop. It also has seamless generator input, with a 240VAC generator wired into the ACin terminals.
It's a bit more expensive than what you've already been looking at, but you'll remember the quality long after the price is forgotten.
Thanks for the reply, I was initially going with a 24V hybrid inverter because I was going to run an AC fridge with it. I have since decided to purchase a Unique brand 12V 6 cubic foot fridge which runs directly off the batteries and has built in breaker and low battery shut down. Other than the fridge, I would only be using the system to charge phones, run LED lights and a cell booster. Any time I require power for large loads which is infrequent, I would fire up the generator. Would this change your mind or thoughts on going 24V. Once I decided to go with DC fridge, I thought why go with 24V, a large battery bank and more solar panels than my needs require. I know the wire can be smaller which saves money etc. but that cost would be surely offset by not creating a system designed to run power tools when I have a generator to provide that power for the 15 mins. I may use them. Thoughts ?

have a generator to provide that power for the 15 mins. I may use them. Thoughts
If an inverter 2000W will be sufficient to run the everyday watts required, I would find it unattractive to tread into 24V or 48V. So many things are available 12V and the plethora of lighting options, cell boosters etc. at 12V is hard to ignore for me.
In my case 1000W inverter runs the fridge and coffeemaker and occasionally a vacuum. If an inverter succumbed its nice knowing all the lights will work as I fix it and in an unforeseen emergency a car can recharge my batteries.

Back