diy solar

diy solar

Please help me with a Solar configuration!

Al Slitter

Trying to learn something new every day!
OK, I have finished with my planning and thinking about what voltage I want to get to in the future.
I have settled on 24 Volts DC from 8 Lithium Ion Batteries.
I have two options going forward:

Is to purchase 4- 100 Watt cells and do a parallel connection then upgrade to another identical set later as money becomes available.
- With this scenario I want a descent charge controller that can handle both 12 and 24 Volts.
- Regarding a BMS it would be a 8-port variety with me only using 4 of the ports to start with.

Is to purchase 8- 100 Watt cells at one time from one seller this will most likely provide a more balanced set of cells.
- The controller and BMS would be as specified in option #1

Other things that I feel are important:
The ability to set the top and bottom charging levels for the cells.
The ability to have a monitor to view the cells during charging. (i.e. Cell Meter 8)

- What would you recommend for the top and bottom charging levels. My preference is having the controller or BMS to do it.
- I have concerns about using an active balancer.
- What do I need to provide a 12 volts as out put in my shop?
- I have no need today for an Inverter but it might be something that I would add later.
- What other things do you feel I will be to get this system up and running?

Al, I'll take what's behind door #2.

With the thought that the BMS is always the arbiter of LAST resort, the charging/discharging devices should be configured to prevent over/under charge. The default levels that came with my Victron equipment were good enough that I haven't changed them yet.

My Overkill Solar BMS is a passive balancer and it has done a very nice job of keeping the cells balanced. Quality cells and top balancing may contribute heavily to that. Changing parameters is easy with the app.

For monitoring of the system, I use the Victron BMV-712. To look at the individual cell levels I look at the app that came with my BMS. I looked at that app frequently the first month or so after the install. After that, maybe once every two months. I'm glad I didn't waste money on a third party cell monitor.

Thank you HRTKD, I understand having quality items is often the best solution the key is making them fit into my budget.
My solar array is more of a learning environment than a production system.
Thank you again!

Back