diy solar

diy solar

Please help with battery powered lights.

browneyedpixieky

We have led lights we did use deep cycle led batteries with. I got tired of them going bad every year. So I ordered a 12v 100 amp life PO 4 lithium battery. We use a generator and battery charger to charge it but it dies before it should. We can't do solar panels till we move on up the road because there is not enough sunlight. I think it is how he has the lights wired. I have been doing a lot of research and watch all of Will Prowse's videos and I own the book. Can anyone give me a rundown of what should be used in this situation even down to size of wire? Because he won't listen to just me. The wiring is in different pieces. I would appreciate any advice or help.

It's not that no one wants to help, there's just not enough info to know where to start. Your question is along the lines of "my car isn't working, what's wrong?"

How many lights are you running, how much power do they draw, those are the first questions you need to answer. As always, the first step is figure out how much power you need to supply

Besides the number of lights and the power used by each light (in watts), how many hours per day do you need to run the lights? Is anything else connected to the battery besides the LED lights?

Are you using a good battery charger that works correctly with LiFePO₄ batteries? Are you sure the battery is being fully charged? The charge curve of LiFePO₄ is very different from lead acid batteries.

Ok I am sorry. I get ahead of myself lol. On that particular battery we have 4 of the ones that look like regular bulbs and 4 of the other kind but only use two of them. We live in a 30 ft camper but he had to run wire because squirrels eat our wires. We charge it with a lithium charger by generator but the BMS kicks in no time. Starting out it didn't do that. He used different sized wiring on the whole thing and I think that is the problem but he won't listen to me. We are going to take the small lights out and put two more of the regular looking ones up. What is your opinion? If you think it is where he used so many different types of wiring what size should I get? I appreciate everyone's help because I have been studying up on solar. But till we get at least the 14x14 room done we can't use panels.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211231-141552.png
    Screenshot_20211231-141552.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20211231-141721.png
    Screenshot_20211231-141721.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 3
Back