diy solar

diy solar

Please Needing Help Quick

AZ Off-Gridder

As the Title suggests I am in great need of help. I have Signature Solars 48v Server Rack EG4 batteries. 3 in parallel. And I have the MPP 6548 Inverter all in one. Finally got the system connected but I don’t have all of my panels setup yet. So I attempted to use the AC Input feature with the MPP and I plugged it into my Gasoline Generator. It keeps tripping the GCFI outlet on the Generator right away. I’ve tried changing many settings and googling I can’t find out why?! I’m trying to charge the battery bank with 120v AC like it’s intended to do through the AC Input I should be able to.

I’m able to get it to “work” if I disconnect the battery bank, via the breakers built into the batteries. Then the MPP shows 120v input and stays on. And the Generator outlet does not trip. As soon as I re-connect batteries it trips. It can’t change batteries if they’re not connected obviously so I’m in need of help please. If anyone is using the MPP 6548 let me know if you can charge with a generator like you should be able to.

NOTE: the GCFI outlet on Generator is 15A

As the Title suggests I am in great need of help. I have Signature Solars 48v Server Rack EG4 batteries. 3 in parallel. And I have the MPP 6548 Inverter all in one. Finally got the system connected but I don’t have all of my panels setup yet. So I attempted to use the AC Input feature with the MPP and I plugged it into my Gasoline Generator. It keeps tripping the GCFI outlet on the Generator right away. I’ve tried changing many settings and googling I can’t find out why?! I’m trying to charge the battery bank with 120v AC like it’s intended to do through the AC Input I should be able to.

I’m able to get it to “work” if I disconnect the battery bank, via the breakers built into the batteries. Then the MPP shows 120v input and stays on. And the Generator outlet does not trip. As soon as I re-connect batteries it trips. It can’t change batteries if they’re not connected obviously so I’m in need of help please. If anyone is using the MPP 6548 let me know if you can charge with a generator like you should be able to.

NOTE: the GCFI outlet on Generator is 15A

Is the 6548 configured to pull no more than 15A from the AC input?

15A * 120V = 1800W

1800W/48V = 37.5A, say 30A for starters.

Make sure the 6548 is limited to 30A charge from utility.

You must also limit your use to ensure the generator is not overloaded, i.e., inverter use + charging must be less than 1800W.

Is the 6548 configured to pull no more than 15A from the AC input?

15A * 120V = 1800W

1800W/48V = 37.5A, say 30A for starters.

Make sure the 6548 is limited to 30A charge from utility.
It has programmable settings for utility charge current from 2A up to 120A and no matter what I set it at, it still does as described.

My understanding is that It’s intended to be charged by a generator or standard house outlet so it shouldn’t be an issue. Maybe I’m missing a setting or maybe I have a faulty unit…

It has programmable settings for utility charge current from 2A up to 120A and no matter what I set it at, it still does as described.

In addition to trying to charge, are you also using loads that might exceed 1800W?

I believe the 6548 will act as a charger-only when the inverter is off. Will it charge like this?

In addition to trying to charge, are you also using loads that might exceed 1800W?

I believe the 6548 will act as a charger-only when the inverter is off. Will it charge like this?
All attempts have been with Inverter off. Load is not a factor in this scenario.

You may also be dealing with an actual ground fault issue. How are neutral and ground bonded?
How should they be? Ground of battery bank connects to ground terminal of Inverter, is more necessary? Is a true earth ground needed in this application, sorry for my ignorance im knowledgeable with solar but still room for learning obviously.

Also I can hear loud clicking inside the Inverter as if it’s tripping some sort of over current protection device inside the MPP like a breaker or something similar.

Also I can hear loud clicking inside the Inverter as if it’s tripping some sort of over current protection device inside the MPP like a breaker or something similar.
That is probably the bypass relay.
Would expect it to click when the relay is enegized and nearly immediately the gfci breaker will trip at which point the relay will be de-energized.
Is there anything connected to the ac output of the all_in_one?

Then it probably is.

So I attempted to use the AC Input feature with the MPP and I plugged it into my Gasoline Generator
The MPP belongs to the solar side. It should not be connected to the gennie.

No load connected at all.
Then it probably is.

The MPP belong to the solar side. It should not be connected to the gennie.
MPP is the brand name of the inverter MPPT is different I know.
I’m just using the Inverters AC Input.

Might need a NG bonding plug on your generator. Common problem on solar RVs with external generators.

The generator is now the AC source and where the bond should occur. What generator is being used?

Might need a NG bonding plug on your generator. Common problem on solar RVs with external generators.

The generator is now the AC source and where the bond should occur. What generator is being used?
Predator 4375. I’m now looking at it and the front has a ground terminal. Now what do I do with it?

If that is the case that would mean the gfci breaker checks for continuity between neutral and ground as part of its initialization to run-time.
That would also mean that the gfci would trip even with a simple 3 prong load.

How are your batteries connected. It sounds like you have created a DC to ground fault.

Back