diy solar

diy solar

Please recommend inverter to AC couple with Sol-Ark 12K

Can someone explain the benefits of microinverters that are installed right at the modules (array) ? Seems to me there's more CONS than PROS

The CONS I see;
  • you have more equipment outside in the elements
  • you have to run AC wiring (thicker gauge) from the array to the inverters location
  • the shading thing that is touted, doesn't resonate with me. I've seen tests on video where shading benefits of using microinverters doesn't help but like 3%
  • you're bringing AC power into the home and kind of by-passing an inverter that can centrally manage the power and what you want to do with it. You can AC couple the power to a wall-mount inverter and manage the power but you're still kind of bypassing.
  • more moving parts, more to diagnose, more to break/fix
The PROS I see;
  • you can monitor each solar panel separately (or in pairs) but don't see the big deal in that. I can tell you if all my panels are producing or not without the use of microinverters

Maybe there's some specific use or situation that calls for the use of microinverters? I don't see much value in them myself unless there's something I'm not seeing or thinking about. Someone care to chime in?
I have a similar problem.

I have 16 random solar panels in my garage.

Can’t use a SCC because panels are all different wattage and manufacture.

So I got 4 Hoymiles HMS-2000-4T-NA.
It uses 4 independent MPPT controller to produce AC out.
You can use up to 670 watt panels and there is no monitoring if you don’t want or certifications to turn them up.

Run all 4 (8kw) micros into Gen port.
You have to tell the Sol-Ark it’s Microinverter input and set the reference but that’s it.

What did you decide to do??

Any UL1741 certified compliant inverter will supply the AC power in to the AC couple input on the Sol-Arc. That is a grid compliant thing and really not much to do with inverter itself. Don’t connect anything that isn’t grid certified and you will be fine.

Back