diy solar

diy solar

Please Review My Diagram

Equipment ground is usually done to the frame on an rv the frame is isolated from the ac in the rv until you connect it to shore power then ground for the circuit panel and the neutral are sort of bonded because they are bonded at the service that the power originates from. Sometimes you are hundreds of feet from the bonding point and you will have a measurable difference in voltage between neutral and ground.

Hard to tell on the pic of the Blue Sea breaker since they don’t have their name on the face of the breaker. It cost more that the “look alike” breakers, but will do its job when needed.

Equipment ground is usually done to the frame on an rv the frame is isolated from the ac in the rv until you connect it to shore power then ground for the circuit panel and the neutral are sort of bonded because they are bonded at the service that the power originates from. Sometimes you are hundreds of feet from the bonding point and you will have a measurable difference in voltage between neutral and ground.
Thanks! Getting the wire and lugs for it this afternoon!

The shunt lines look strange. The shunt just goes anywhere on the (-) battery circuit between the charger/inverter and the battery.

You do not need two circuit breakers on the PV. Just one will make the circuit open, thus disconnecting the circuit.
All manuals and diagrams I have found say that you should break both positive and negative from the solar panels for a true disconnect.

"NEC 2020 Article 690.13 section (E) States that “ The PV System disconnecting means shall simultaneously disconnect the PV system conductors that are not solidly grounded from all conductors of other wiring systems." Since camper electrical systems are generally NOT grounded, this means that both the positive and negative conductors from the solar array need to be able to be simultaneously disconnected, and a dual pole breaker does exactly that where those other breakers and switches do not."

Victron says the shunt hooks to the battery negative, and then all other negative cables go to the load side of the shunt. That way it picks up ALL the charging and discharging of the batteries.

Last edited:
Victron says the shunt hooks to the battery negative, and then all other negative cables go to the load side of the shunt. That way it picks up ALL the charging and discharging of the batteries.
My understanding is that this is only a definite if you are using a smart shunt. I’m using a “dumb” shunt I have all my loads connected after it but the charge controller is connected directly to the battery otherwise it’s input offsets my loads and I have no idea what my power usage actually is. If you have a smart shunt you want every load after it

All manuals and diagrams I have found say that you should break both positive and negative from the solar panels for a true disconnect.
If you’re using a polarized dual pole breaker, please make sure its hooked u correctly. Can burst into flames if not connected correctly. The way its labeled is confusing and they come without instructions. Basically red wires in the right side with the on in the up position, and black wires on the left side.

Apparently many were installed wrong years ago.

If you’re using a polarized dual pole breaker, please make sure its hooked u correctly. Can burst into flames if not connected correctly. The way its labeled is confusing and they come without instructions. Basically red wires in the right side with the on in the up position, and black wires on the left side.

Apparently many were installed wrong years ago.
Thanks for the advice. I just got the breaker today, and it does show the + side is on the right. I am redoing the plans to where the red cable is on the right side of the breaker and will post a corrected version ASAP.

My understanding is that this is only a definite if you are using a smart shunt. I’m using a “dumb” shunt I have all my loads connected after it but the charge controller is connected directly to the battery otherwise it’s input offsets my loads and I have no idea what my power usage actually is. If you have a smart shunt you want every load after it
It is the Victron Smart Shunt.

Back