diy solar

diy solar

Pls help me with system design

Hello everyone , i updated my wiring diagram to reflect the battery monitor and the 62a double breaker between the scc and the negative busbar

I inspected my house AC/DC panel , since im not adding a multiplus , i will continue to utilize the existing wiring in place for the ac / dc inputs ,

PRELIM WIRING DIAGRAM.png

Hello everyone , i updated my wiring diagram to reflect the battery monitor and the 62a double breaker between the scc and the negative busbar

I inspected my house AC/DC panel , since im not adding a multiplus , i will continue to utilize the existing wiring in place for the ac / dc inputs ,

You show no pure dc loads.
That means the only load is the inverter so its kinda pointless to have the connections between the battery and the busbars at 2 awg and then the connection between the busbar and the inverter at 4 awg.

You show no pure dc loads.
That means the only load is the inverter so its kinda pointless to have the connections between the battery and the busbars at 2 awg and then the connection between the busbar and the inverter at 4 awg.
hi joey , yes im very confused about this and ive watched a lot of videos. the thing is everyone is adding a multiplus and rerouted the ac/dc loads through the multi plus , im keeping my stock ac / dc panel so i need a little help on this last piece. in other words - i dotn know what do wo with the panel ,

all im trying to do is increase solar capacity , add the dc-dc charger , fuse the system properly , and clean up the install a bit , it was thrown together by the rv dealer who sold the rv to the first owner

hi joey , yes im very confused about this and ive watched a lot of videos. the thing is everyone is adding a multiplus and rerouted the ac/dc loads through the multi plus , im keeping my stock ac / dc panel so i need a little help on this last piece. in other words - i dotn know what do wo with the panel ,

all im trying to do is increase solar capacity , fuse the system properly , and clean up the install a bit , it was thrown together by the rv dealer who sold the rv to the first owner
The dc distribution panel is a dc/load.
Check the ac2dc converter in the bottom of the panel to determine its amp rating.
With the new system you will either disable the converter or reconfigure as to not create a power loop with your inverter.
Will you be connecting to shore power or a generator?

Last edited:
the thing is everyone is adding a multiplus and rerouted the ac/dc loads through the multi plus
No one would be routing DC loads through a MultiPlus. A MultiPlus is an inverter. That is for AC loads, not DC loads.

DC loads are powered by the battery.

The dc distribution panel is a dc/load.
Check the ac2dc converter in the bottom of the panel to determine its amp rating.
With the new system you will either disable the converter or reconfigure as to not create a power loop with your inverter.
Will you be connecting to shore power or a generator?
No one would be routing DC loads through a MultiPlus. A MultiPlus is an inverter. That is for AC loads, not DC loads.

DC loads are powered by the battery.
so that means my system has been wired incorrectly the whole time , my current inverter is wired directly to the battery now , all im doing is adding more panels and the dc-dc

my inverter is this

are you saying the dc loads need to be rerouted from the dc panel to the battery itself or directly onto the inverter? thanks

so that means my system has been wired incorrectly the whole time , my current inverter is wired directly to the battery now , all im doing is adding more panels and the dc-dc

my inverter is this

are you saying the dc loads need to be rerouted from the dc panel to the battery itself or directly onto the inverter? thanks

The dc distribution panel will be connected to the busbars.
The inverter is anoter load so it will also be connected to the busbars.
The busbars make them effectively parallel.

so that means my system has been wired incorrectly the whole time , my current inverter is wired directly to the battery now

I think you are confusing input and output. The input of the inverter is the DC battery. But it outputs AC. Pure DC loads (your DC fuse panel) have the battery as input and DC as output.

Your inverter does not support hardwire.
Makes it kind of hinky to connect it to the ac distribution panel.

Your inverter does not support hardwire.
Makes it kind of hinky to connect it to the ac distribution panel.

Yes joey this is a big part of the problem , i think most people have an inverter that allows for that. mine is very cheap. but i never use more than 700w of ac power from the inverter so its fine for me.

So with that said how would you proceed?

Yes joey this is a big part of the problem , i think most people have an inverter that allows for that. mine is very cheap. but i never use more than 700w of ac power from the inverter so its fine for me.

So with that said how would you proceed?
Do you want to connect it to the ac distribution panel?

Do you want to connect it to the ac distribution panel?
i dont care at all , i just want everything to be wired correctly , the way i use my inverter is with an extension cord that i run near my tv , the only things i connect to it are a sound bar , the amazon firestick , and the coffee maker for 5 min each morning

i dont care at all , i just want everything to be wired correctly , the way i use my inverter is with an extension cord that i run near my tv , the only things i connect to it are a sound bar , the amazon firestick , and the coffee maker for 5 min each morning
Please attach a picture of your ac/dc distribution panel.
With the door open so we can see the breakers, fuses and corresponding maps.

On the AC side you have a 30 amp master breaker and 2 branch circuits are on.
4 branch circuits have their breakers in the off position.

On the dc side you have lots of circuits.

Do you currently have a connection to shore power?

On the AC side you have a 30 amp master breaker and 2 branch circuits are on.
4 branch circuits have their breakers in the off position.

On the dc side you have lots of circuits.

Do you currently have a connection to shore power?
thats not right now i took this a while back , just wanted to show you what im working with. I am never connected to shore power , all boondocking.

Do you use any of the dc circuits from the dc panel currently?
i honestly do not know what you mean , btw , thanks a lot for the help im trying to learn , i have no backround in electrical. you helped me a lot with my diy battery too and it came out great , so im sure i can figure this out too ;)

i honestly do not know what you mean , btw , thanks a lot for the help im trying to learn , i have no backround in electrical. you helped me a lot with my diy battery too and it came out great , so im sure i can figure this out too ;)
On the left side of the combined ac/dc distribution panel I can see there are many dc circuits.
I wonder if you are using any of them.
In order for you to use them they need to get power from somewhere.

They could be powered via the converter for from a battery.
Is there any voltage if you measure between pos(black) and gnd(white)?

Back