diy solar

diy solar

Plug and play on-grid/off-grid battery storage for Sri Lanka

ng2022

Hi,

I'm writing this from Colombo, Sri Lanka, where as some of you may know, we are experiencing long power cuts (8-13 hours) due to an almost exact repeat of the Lebanese fiasco. As a result, I'm urgently trying to assemble a power-wall + hybrid inverter solution for backup power, as I already have 6.8KW of solar panels. I'm hoping for an economical solution that I could pilot and others too could replicate, and was looking at Chinese battery options which seem very reasonably priced.

However, having no background in this subject other than as a clueless consumer of solar power, I've found it quite overwhelming to wade through the available options (mainly on Alibaba and AliExpress), and to figure out what is compatible with what and which suppliers are reliable (e.g. Aoboet Uhome and the Pylontech Force-L2). Since quick solutions are needed, I was hoping that someone with experience on this forum could recommend a more-or-less plug-and-play system that could be installed by a local electrician/solar company.

The ideal scenario would be:
1. Simple scalability by plugging in more solar panels, more inverters, or more batteries, depending on individual requirements.
2. Use solar panels when possible with shortfall fulfilled from battery and grid
3. Store excess energy in batteries, and export any further excess to grid
4. Ideally a UPS like automatic switchover on failure
5. Be able to function completely off-grid if necessary

The criteria I was hoping to optimise were:

1. Longevity (ideally something reliable that can last 15+ years)
2. Price (a system that others too could replicate)
3. Safety (Most houses here are brick, so less flammable than elsewhere)
4. Scalability

Sri Lanka's electrical standards are pretty much the same as British standards.

It would be wonderful to receive some recommendations for a plug-and-play system of
1. A powerwall
2. A compatible hybrid inverter

that optimise the above criteria. For myself, I think I would require at least a 5KW inverter (10KW preferred as I have an electric car) and 10-15KW of battery storage to go mostly off-grid.

Any and all help, suggestions and recommendations welcome!

If you do not want to sell power to the grid then off-grid (with grid support) all-in-one inverters are the (cheap) solution.
MPP Solar/Voltronic Axpert and its clones.
Can be paralleled (1 inverter 5kW, 2 inverter 10kW ... up to 9 inverters)

If you want to sell power to the grid then real hybrid inverter is a solution. More expensive but has a lot of extra feature.

All these inverters are UPS with 10-20ms transfer time.
MPP Solar even has the MK/MKX off-grid WGS inverters which are Online UPS (double conversion)

For battery LiFePO4 is the best.
- you can build it from raw cells (cheapest), like EVE or CATL
- already ready made rack version like Pylontech or Seplos Mason (IKEA style so you have to put it together)
- wall mount version

@mrzed001 Thanks very much for the quick reply. The ready-made rack versions sound more appealing given my situation. A few more questions:

1. What does "activation mean" in the context of Pylontech storage systems and compatible inverters, as in this compatibility list?
2. Since I'm in a relatively hot climate ~30-32C average, are there recommended storage systems that are better suited for the climate?

@mrzed001 Thanks very much for the quick reply. The ready-made rack versions sound more appealing given my situation. A few more questions:

1. What does "activation mean" in the context of Pylontech storage systems and compatible inverters, as in this compatibility list?
2. Since I'm in a relatively hot climate ~30-32C average, are there recommended storage systems that are better suited for the climate?

It is important that you do not let the pack to heat up.
If you can not put it like a garage under the house ... then you need an AC.
The battery likes exactly the same temperature as you :)

Activation ... not a clue. The product arrives already activated.
Can be that after a low V disconnect the inverter send a start signal to the BMS ?

Back