diy solar

diy solar

Plug And Play Panel Connection

jwh92020

I'm building 2 cargo conversions for a convent in Mississippi. They will be used as guest quarters as well as accommodations when they travel. They will be running a 1.7 cu.ft dorm fridge (on a small pure sine inverter), 5 - 3 watt led ceiling lights and a roof charging their phones on a 100 amp hr LifePo4 battery. The air conditioner, lap top and a Powermax converter/charger will be powered by a generator when needed. They want to use 200 watt portable panels so they can park in the shade but still get sun on the panels. What is the best "plug and play" method of connecting the panels to the charge controller? The plan is to use a 20 amp Epever MPPT controller. There will be no roof mounted panel, only the portable. Thx

What is the best "plug and play" method of connecting the panels to the charge controller?
For small current like that I like sae connectors. Clean, small simple.
Because MC4s are not durable.
a 100 amp hr LifePo4 battery.
I think they need more battery and more solar, and the dorm fridge is too small when for $50 ish more you can get 4-5 cubic feet. Which is virtually the same power consumption.
I’d aim at 400W. And at least 1000W inverter to run fridge. Have you considered the MPP 1012LV for them? $425 is a bargain for an aio that is very useful.

Thanks for the info on the SAE conndctors. What gauge wire? They put the "hardware/appliance" package together and had it shipped to me. Apparently they saw set ups like this at a retreat up in Maine and want to replicate them. They could not find anyone closer to them to do the build out, so here I am.

SAE conndctors. What gauge wire?
I can’t remember if I ever found 8ga but generally these are rated at 20- or 30A DC and I got 10ga last time I bought some.
The chinese versions may not always be sufficient quality imho but these are “just ok” for what you want. I bought some last year- no amp or voltage ratings ?‍♂️
but for <20A & <60V I’m ok with them but I’d like a rating. I’d find better if someone was paying me to install.

Slightly more clunky but more durable and higher amps available are the Andersen connectors in a good brand. For PV wires of moderate voltage SAE are ok.

Last edited:
Back