diy solar

diy solar

Plug & play power station with transfer switch?

smeagles

Hello everyone! Not sure if this is the correct section, but I was hoping for some suggestions.

Moving to a city that was faced some emergency power shutoffs due to fires in nearby areas.

Was hoping for some suggestions of power stations like goal zero yeti 3000 or the titan for backup power, using a transfer switch. Are these viable/compatible with a transfer switch? I was only hoping to power maybe 2-3 breakers (kitchen with gas oven, living room, and maybe a bedroom?).

I already own a bluetti ac200. Would this be sufficient? If not, what power station would be more viable?

Following this thread. I have a similar question. I'm on grid but I have a transfer switch in basement with an outside 30amp plug for my Honda EU2200 generator. Looking for a solution for solar setup that can plug into the transfer switch outlet (Reliance 6 breaker panel). The new Bluetti AC200Max has a 30 amp plug that seems equivalent to the 30 amp plug for the transfer switch. But, there are probably stronger systems worth considering. Looking for advise or someone that can provide a consultation. Thanks!

It comes down to how much power you need and how long you need it for (and how much you are prepared to spend). It is possible to make these units work for extended periods, but you need to be frugal with the power you use. Do a backup power audit.

If you have a power inlet and transfer switch already working for a regular generator, then a portable power station supplying the same power standard (voltage and outlet plug configuration) will work fine.

All you need to understand are:
- the power output limitation of your portable power station, which means you'll need to be careful with what appliances you expect to run. This is no different to a regular generator. Try to use too many things as once and it will overload and shut down. Forget about using power hungry appliances like electric heating, clothes dryers, larger aircon units, electric water heaters.
- the energy capacity of the unit and how long you can expect that to last given your expected average power demand during backup period.
- how to charge it

Given the capacity of the portable power stations like Bluetti, from battery alone you can expect to be able to run a handful of low power lights (LEDs), internet router, a (modern) fridge/freezer, keep a phone charged, perhaps a laptop going for say 8-12 hours, but if you expect to use any high power devices then it will drain the battery far more quickly, or it may not be able to supply that much power anyway.

So then it becomes a case of what to do if you think you need either:
- more power
- more energy to last longer

More power simply means a unit or other system capable of supplying that, a larger inverter output. If you do really need more power (even briefly) then these current portable power stations are probably not going to cut it.

More energy means a larger battery (some have battery expansion packs) and/or ways to charge it without grid power. Solar PV is the obvious choice but that may not always be possible / practical in an urban setting. With a Bluetti there's also a limit to how much power solar PV can supply, and the sort of fold out solar power panels you often see coupled with these units are at best going to trickle feed the battery and simply delay the inevitable. In some cases you may find using a regular generator during the day and the Bluetti at night is a viable option.

I have a power inlet and transfer switch for our home and used to use an inverter generator for backup. Worked well and being rural, noise isn't a concern. I've since replaced that with an off-grid battery/inverter/solar PV system, and the generator is there for redundancy. Uses the same power inlet the generator did. In our case that's a 20A / 230V inlet.

I did a backup power audit for our home (I have 3 buildings to cover). I worked out I needed to supply ~5-600W average but with the ability to draw something over 3kW for brief periods. If I expect to need to be able to run for 12 hours then I'll need at least 7.2kWh of useable storage, add 20% for losses, let's call it 8.6kWh. That about 5 times the usable capacity of a Bluetti.

If I need to run for longer then I'll need a way to recharge the battery while also supplying the home = solar PV array, with the generator being redundancy in case solar PV is inadequate. 2 hours of generator charging the battery will gives about another 8 hours of outage backup.

So I ended up with a 4kW all-in-one inverter, 2.2kW of solar PV array on the garage and 18kWh of lead acid battery storage (of which 50% is nominally useable, although more in a pinch if really needed). It plugs into the same power inlet I used for the regular generator and works a treat. It also has grid input/pass through capability with UPS mode so it can seamlessly cut over to battery and back to grid supply during periods of intermittent outages.

I'd love to either install one of the posted DIY battery backup inverter setups or one from one of Will's videos, but my confidence in my own ability is lacking. I don't want to endanger myself or my family.

I'll probably just go the transfer switch, plus gas generator for daytime hours (charging the bluetti as well) and bluetti for night time power if the grid goes down.

We have solar, so I'd LOVE to have a battery backup system, but I don't know if a power wall is in the budget, but if it's a continuous issue, I may just inquire with local electricians if I can get them to install one of the "diy blueprints" for me.

Thank you for all your input! I appreciate the info and feedback!

Thank you for the reply Wattmatters. This is perfect and very helpful! I’m going to run my Honda EU2200 generator tomorrow as a long term test for energy audit/usability (should have done this sooner). Assuming that works and I can limit/surge power appropriately for this application, then the Bluetti AC200Max should work or I can scale up if needed. Thanks!

my confidence in my own ability is lacking. I don't want to endanger myself or my family.
Sometimes getting out of your comfort zone is worth while. DIY electrical energy systems isn't one of those times.

You can consider a smaller project though, something to learn on, a shed/garage project perhaps. Scale it all down to get used to all the bits n pieces and how they fit together.

Thank you for the reply Wattmatters. This is perfect and very helpful! I’m going to run my Honda EU2200 generator tomorrow as a long term test for energy audit/usability (should have done this sooner). Assuming that works and I can limit/surge power appropriately for this application, then the Bluetti AC200Max should work or I can scale up if needed. Thanks!
No probs.

Not sure whether you have such a thing where you are but if you can use a plug in power meter at the generator, it will record your actual energy usage. This sort of thing:

Back