diy solar

diy solar

2020 POLL: What BMS are you using in your system? (UPDATED)

2020: What BMS(s) are you using? (more than 1 option can be selected)

• Total voters
Can you elaborate? Should any BMS expect to survive a short circuit?
What did you do?
Or are you claiming a defect in the board caused your cells to short circuit?
Sorry, I am too late, I know.
If a BMS claims to survive a short circuit, it should survive. Thats what I tested. Just doing a shortcircuit on the load side. The result was: Most of the FET's on the load-side on the board were blown.
Additionally, because of the bad layout and design of all these JBD-BMS (common port BMS) I will never again use these devices. Some people switched of the charge-part with android but still used the load-part with an espresso machine: What happend: The load-part was properly switched on, the charge-part was OFF, but the current-flow (because of commen port design) was also through the diodes of the charge-part FET's, resulting in increasing temperature >50 degree on the board and some boards did not survive that procedure, because of faulty temp-sensors or settings.
Also the MOSFET's are soldered onto the board with theire metal-side, which is normally mounted on cooling blocks, and their plastic side was cooled, just ignoring simple layout and design rules.
And the balancing current is a joke.
In my eyes these boards are chinese waste blocks!
I am using now different other better BMS's, which have no FET-arrays but wether relais or Fet-switches externally (Victron BP works if only used for load OR charge). A short on the load side only blows the fuse, nothing more.

Back