diy solar

diy solar

Pond filtration system

Chase

I have a 2 acre lagoon that is about 20 feet deep that I would like to build a filtration system for. I am already running a large air pump with diffuser off solar but want more for the health of the pond. I was planning on linking multiple 55 gallon drums and setting up like large canister filters, but am having trouble with pump selection. I want something that can run continuously year round and more volume the better. I will add another 24 or 12v system to power pump appropriately. Thanks for any pump advice.

Contact an irrigation distributor who specialize in water features. I could make recommendations but not 100% sure what you're able to source where you are.
Generally, filtration is a last resort on something of your size. Dirty water is best mitigated through aeration and equatic plant life to clean up the excess nitrates and phosphates. In my area, cat tail, reed canary, lilly pad, etc do very well in sucking up nitrates and phosphates. There are numerous eco friendly pond supplies available for large scale cleanups. Rocks and filtration gravels placed at strategic areas will allow helpful bacteria to populate and assist.
Large ponds in poor condition will need a long term commitment and patience. Every step slowly accumulates into the final result.

Just ran the rough numbers. You're looking at roughly 12-13 million gallons of water. To filter that amount of water you'd need at minimun a 15hp 300gpm pump. Thats an aweful lot of juice to supply via solar.

Just ran the rough numbers. You're looking at roughly 12-13 million gallons of water. To filter that amount of water you'd need at minimun a 15hp 300gpm pump. Thats an aweful lot of juice to supply via solar.
Its not 20' everywhere. I figured around 6 million, but yes your right about hard to filter. Anything is better than nothing though. It's something I wanted to try even if on a small scale, but I guess more aeration is more feasible. What did you mean by strategic placement of rocks? I have a few tons of old cinder blocks that I could dump in easily.

I guess I really shouldn't be making suggestions like rocks and gravel since I have no clear picture of your particular situation. Algea growth, Temperatures, Acidity, nutrient concentrations, species of weed growth, etc. I'd revert back to asking locally what can be done and suggestions for your area. A lot of reading and research to be done. There is no 1 step solution. Single step water treatments mask the problem short term, but seldom fix the problems long term. Beneficial bacterias can help over time.

Thanks for the advice, caught some nice bass and brim in it today. I guess I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Attachments

• 20210410_175320.jpg
    20210410_175320.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 11
That looks awesome. Them bass might actually appreciate some hollow cinder blocks to shade and hide in.

The other thing you can do as well, if you're the land owner of the land feeding the pond, is to stop using fertilizer.

Back