diy solar

diy solar

Pond pump

housedweller

I’m looking for a recommendation for a pump for an outdoor pond (with fish!).
I have a pipe leading to a small waterfall drop

I have a 100w eco-worthy solar panel with controller and would like to link the pump to this.

the pond is about 8ft x 4ft.

any thoughts on what’s best for my panel? thanks.

That pump looks very small. Is there a bigger pump which can be powered by a 100w panel?

At the moment I have:
- 100w EcoWorthy solar panel
- small controller
- XiangXin Solar Energy Generator, Portable Solar Generator, High-Capacity 110V Or 220V battery
- AC pond pump, plugged into he AC on the battery

It works ok-ish- but I have to go out and press the button every time I want the pump to turn on, then runs for approximately 4-5 hrs on a sunny day. I would rather have a system which charges a battery enough so it can run 24/7. Maybe that means new battery and new pump?

At the moment I have:
- 100w EcoWorthy solar panel
OK.... lets assume your Insolation is 5. That means you will have around an average of 500Wh of energy.
For running 24 hours the pump will have to be 500Wh/24h= 20.8W or less. The reality is that the panels wont get full production and you will have system losses so the pump would have to be more like 15W..... That is going to be a small pump. Furthermore, your going to have to have batteries large enough to get you through cloudy days.

To get a large pump going 24-7 you are going to need a lot more solar panel.

I

that ECO-WORTHY pump sounds good as I looked at it but couldn't work out how good it would be.
Could you send a picture of it in action?

if you want to go old school, find yourself an old piston pump and rebuild it. They are fantastic pieces of old school machinery. This is my “new” (1926) Duro piston pump. Though it runs off the original 120VAC motor (on top), I mostly run it on the 12VDC 100W motor the pulley is connected to in this picture (just after we finished rebuilding it earlier this summer). I use it on my shallow sand point well and it works great. The DC motor is powered off a 12VDC marine deep cell battery which in turn is powered by 100 watts of Harbor Freight solar panels. I only run it for about 3 hours a day but would expect I could get about 5 hours with my 100w of mobile panels. Seems like you‘ll need a bit more PV and battery storage for 24 hour ops…. Good luck.

1630642282326.jpeg

Back